What well pump would you buy and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

bunkerhillmine

Reaction score
I need a pump. 300', 10GPM. I prefer a 3 wire, but that is open for suggestions too.

4" submersible.

Thank you,

Jim P

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not much difference in quality of pumps anymore. You need about a 1.5 HP, 10 GPM pump, 2 wire or 3 wire doesn't matter. Try places like Sears, Grainger, I even saw one on the ***X store for less than 200 bucks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I need a pump. 300', 10GPM. I prefer a 3 wire, but that is open for suggestions too.

4" submersible.

Thank you,

Jim P
I take it the well depth is 300', not the static water level in the well, right?

And how do you know you only need 10 gpm? Or is that the recovery rate of the well? If so, what peak demand flow rate does the house require?

What pressure are you going to operate it at?

What is the elevation from the well to the highest fixture in the house?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I prefer three wire to two, no clue why, I just do. I think they hold up a little better but I have no empirical data to back that up. I use Goulds because that's what my supply house sells and they have been good to me over the years.

bunkerhillmine

Reaction score
Well depth is 300'. 10GPM is what we have on another well 300' from this one and for what we use it for, that works fine ( it is a mobile home) . The height difference from the top of the well and the highest fixture in the place is about 6'. I like higher pressure, about 60 psi works fine for me.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
The first well being 10 gpm doesn't mean that this other one is the same. Do you have a well completion report that shows what the well is producing, and what are you using it for.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is my point Mr Slusser,size does not matter,he is looking for a recomended brand not a water treatment system......Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
That is my point Mr Slusser,size does not matter,he is looking for a recomended brand not a water treatment system......Upper
Your point, I didn't see a point other than attacking me personally, because I couldn't understand what you meant. I see the post ihas been deleted.

The hp AND gpm size of a pump certainly does matter. So does the peak demand gpm of the building which the OP hasn't actually said what that need is yet, so IMO no one can size a pump for him but.... Valveman answered as to what brand.

The OP also later said his other well has 10 gpm, does that mean a 10 gpm pump or a 10 gpm recovery rate of the well?

And if it means a 10 gpm pump, why ask what brand to buy when he has one in the other well that works fine? I would buy the same size and brand. And if he doesn't know the brand in his other well, what difference does brand make?

Anyway, where do you see me saying anything remotely able to be considered as having anything to do with water treatment?

And why aren't you answering the OP with a suggestion of your favorite brand of pump instead of attacking me?

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My point is Peak demand has nothing to do with the original posters question,Nor does peak demand have anything to do with well production.Anything under 3 horse is Goulds anything 3 .to 5 horse Grundfos.I got to go now and tell my well how much water my building needs.Now I am going to ask it nice as not to do it in an attacking way.You got to be nice to your hole or it will not produce:D Upper

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Valvman, I agree wid ya.

But for those that care; If you know the depth of the well, the static level of the well and the recovery, all you need to do is get on goulds web site and run down the chart to select the right pump. It ain't rocket science. As a general rule of thumb. when you don't know any of the above, put back in what you pulled out because chances are the well guy knew.

Last edited:

watrax

Reaction score
knowing the HP and GPM of pump and Elevation Head. my question is how to determine the discharge pressure at the pump?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
If you know the depth of the well, the static level of the well and the recovery, all you need to do is get on goulds web site and run down the chart to select the right pump.
I've never seen any reference to the the recovery rate of a well on any pump charts but why do you need to know the recovery rate?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks