Can't disconnect pitless adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Bester

Reaction score
I've got a leak or bad check valve and need to pull up my pump.I've never done this before but last time I had this same problem it cost nearly 2000.00.It was just a rusted nipple but I was told I should opt for a new pump,What a rip.Anyways I couldn't figure out the pitless connection but what I'm looking at online seems as if mine is of the "cable"or "spring" type.There is no cable on it but it has a piviting lever that contacts the side of the well.I pulled and pryed as hard as i could like an idiot until I noticed the lever.I tryed to make a hook out of some old copper tubing that was laying around but no luck.What should I do to unhook this thing? Am I on the right track??The well has been running all summer on 5 sec. off 15 sec. 24/7.I thought this was the case but only verified the problem after a 300.00+ electric bill.Thanks for any help you can offer

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure about your pitless. On mine all I do is thread a pipe into the top of it and pull up the pump. What I can tell you a motor will not survive long continuously short cycling like that. You should have disconnected it the minute you noticed it. The fact that yours is still running after doing that for a month is kind of surprising to me. In any event when you do pull the pump you might as well replace it or expect to be pulling it again real soon.

-rick

Bester

Reaction score
I'm hoping its going to be so easy once I figure this dang thing out that I'll replace the pump next time.The last time this happened the pump was 15 years old and it did the same thing for months.It was still working fine and only replaced it on recommendation of well company.I'm sure I'm pushing my luck but just can't spend the money right now.Doesn't anyone have a suggestion on how to "release" this pitless connection?

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I'd look at that last $2000 invoice and see if they made any special notations on it as to pulling the pump in the future. If this is what I think it is it's referred to as a spider pitless and can be a pain in the butt to remove. Normally there is a steel cable that you can pull up on to lift up the rear leg so the adapter can be pulled to the rear of the casing and then lifted up out of the well. If not I would see if there's a way you can make up a hooked device to pull up on this rear leg to be able to pull the pitless back and then out of the well. Let us know.

Bester

Reaction score
After I make up a hook and lift the leg will the adapter slip apart or am I going to have to make up something to pry it apart also?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is most likely what you have down the well. A standard pitless puller will not work. You need to have both the cable that pulls the latch up and the cable that keeps the pipe from falling down into the well. If the latch cable is not there you will need to fabricate a hook. Also make sure there is another strong cable attached to the drop pipe. You may very well want to have a well company come out and do this as they will have the hook.

PitlessPressurizedDiagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.I made up a hook today at work I hope it will be strong enough to lift the lever and release the adapter.Theres already a "t" on the end of the upright pipe so I cant possibly drop it into the well.I havent decided if I want to try this after work or wait until the weekend.Who knows what part/parts I'll need and theres no plumbing supply nearby.I hate the idea of leaving it as is until Saturday though.If its the check valve is it usually pary of the pump or seperate? Is there a certain brand/type I should get? Thanks again,Gary

Bester

Reaction score
The adapter I have looks similar to that drawing.The "actuator" lever doesnt appear to have ever had a cable on it. I've tried everything to get this dang lever to release but I'm not sure if it needs to go up or down.I made a hook and tried every thing I could think of with no luck.Any suggestions?

Bester

Reaction score
I don't know if these pictures will help but you can see what I have although blurry

Bester

Reaction score
I've used a prybar,tried turning it with a pipewrench,tapping with a hammer while prying.I've tried both lifting and pushing down on the lever but it doesn't move.I'm afraid I'll break it and really be screwed.I've searched the web to try to get a better idea of how its supposed to work but I havent found anything like this piece of crap.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The lever pulls up. The bigger issue is what are you going to do once you have it out. You're going to either have to find the same pitless, hope the one you have survived, or dig up the casing and replace the old one.

Bester

Reaction score
That makes sense, I looked down the inside of the pipe and thought it looked like some sort of screw.How far do I unscrew it and does it allow the lever to go up or down? Do I then need to pry the fitting apart or will it just seperate?Thanks so much for the info.Gary

Bester

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEET, Thanks Anna Mae your a life saver.I cant wait to tear it out and fix this leaking system.I was just outside and looked down the pipe and see exactly what your talking about.Thank you very much,Gary

Bester

Reaction score
No problem letting pressure off, something is leaking in well.At least the drop line wont have any water in it.Thanks again,Gary

Bester

Reaction score
I just rapped it up.The last company to "fix" the well didn't install a brass nipple like they told me they did. The nipple rusted out just like it did a few years ago.I guess they didn't want to spend $8.00 on brass since they were only charging me 2000. Thanks for all the help especially to Anna she saved the day.Gary

gunner23_98

Reaction score
I believe I have the same type pitless adapter as you and I am having the same problem. I feel like I am missing some posts in thread because I am not sure how you actually unhooked your pitless adapter. Who is Anna Mae and how did she say to do it?

Confused,

Gunner

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks