no water - pump drops to zero

Users who are viewing this thread

Ladybugmom

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

We have been with and without water for the last 2 1/2 months. It all started with a 5 hour power outage and has continued to this day.

We have had fixes and water, then no water, fixes and water, then no water over and over again. At this moment this is the situation.

After our well guy came and pulled the galv. pipe from the center of our well, changed the foot valve and then replaced back in to the well. We had water for 80 hours, the longest by the way in 2 1/2 months. Anyway, when he left that day, he said we have lots of water in the well and that if we were to have anymore problems, to replace the back pressure regulator. After the 80 hours, the pump would not turn off and stayed at 30 psi. We then took our pump and all attachments to be tested. This was the 2nd time. On his tester, the pump would not go over 30 psi, after he replaced the back pressure regulator all was well with the pump on his tester it would go to 62 psi and shut off. We brought it home, put it on the pipe and we could not get it to prime. It was still hovering at the 30 psi.

At this point we call back the well guy, who comes and pulls the galv. pipe up about 6 inches and tried to get it primed. Now a new problem starts, where before the pump would stay at 30 psi, now when we turn on the pump to try to prime, it drops down to zero psi.

He tells me to take the pump back in for the 3rd time, stating something was wrong with the pump. I take it back in to the well guys and they test it, it is fine, but they open it up and flip the impellers and replace the seals between the impellers just because. Brought it back home and it still does the same thing, dropping down to zero psi and staying there.

The well guy comes back again, tries to get it going, lifts the galv. pipe in the well about 6 inches, plays with the pump and gets it going. It ran for 3 hours, but the water was rust colored. After the 3 hours, we are back to no water and the pressure dropping back to zero. His next answer is the line between the house and the well. We have dug it up and see no leaks. There seemed to be a small leak under the pitless adapter, but when we tried to pressurize it, we thought that if that was the problem, lots of water would seep out, but it didn't. The pressure side of the system has held 25 psi pressure for 6 days. I reached the 25 psi by using neighbor's hose.

Can anyone give any help to this situation. We had no money when we started this whole thing, and $1200 later we still have no money and still have no water. Please help.

Specifics:
1. Flint and Walling upright pump (1974) rebuilt 1999 and tested 3 times in the last 2 months. It works!!
2. 120' galv. well piping 10 years old, 15' screen at bottom.
3. Have a new back pressure regulator.
4. Have replaced 30/50 pressure switch 3 times in last 2 1/2 months, just because.
5. The well has a pitless adapter, the piping from the house to the well, is about 20 feet. 2 inch pipe with a 1 inch pipe inside the 2 inch.
6. Water tank has been tested and is fine. Holds pressure and is not water logged.:confused::confused:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing a leak in the suction line. What you really need is a new well guy. For 1200 bucks you could have had a new sub pump and not be having these problems.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Is it a deep well or two pipe system. If so I would guess you have a piece of sediment lodged in the jet assembly down in the well preventing the pump from building pressure.

Ladybugmom

Reaction score
I am guessing a leak in the suction line. What you really need is a new well guy. For 1200 bucks you could have had a new sub pump and not be having these problems.

Actually we only have 700 into the well guy, 500 in pump repairs, back pressure regulator and pressure switches and other misc.

When you say suction line, do you mean the line in the well itself or the line between the house?

Is it a deep well or two pipe system. If so I would guess you have a piece of sediment lodged in the jet assembly down in the well preventing the pump from building pressure.

We have a deep well with a jet. The original pulling of the center pipe of the well was to check the foot valve and make sure the jet was unplugged. By the time he pulled up the jet it was clean and he really didn't think we needed a new foot valve, but changed it anyway. He thought that if the jet was plugged, it may have dislodged when it was brought up. Would a clogged jet cause the pressure to go down to zero?

Thank you both for your help.
Ladybugmom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks