Double kitchen sink w/disposer plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

vinnithenose

Reaction score
During a kitchen remodel the plumbers installed our double sink with garbage disposal in the manner shown in the photo. Can you see that is potentially wrong with this? Yes, we get some reflux up the baffled T toward the drain basket. It does not ever get very far but still muck above the P- trap can lead to stink.

How should I got about fixing this? Given the RO storage tank takes up a huge volume in the cabinet, as does the insinkerator (but I love that thing). Also, the vertical I have between disposal and the wall pipe does not allow too much forgiveness.

Would a san-T between the disposal and P-trap work or should I cut the wall line back and/or 45 or 90 it toward the drain basket? I have about 6" coming out from the wall.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 11,872
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can't tell from the pic......you say it is a baffle tee that the disposer elbow drops into. Are you sure?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your baffle tee should be on the horizontal.
The one of the left that is plugged is the proper baffle too for the vertical position.

Here is how these things normallly look.

sink_dw.jpg

vinnithenose

Reaction score
I am not positive but I believe it is a baffle tee where the disposer and the centers meet just above the p trap.

Baffle has a diverter to keep the down water going down encourage the side water to go down?

The one on the left with the plug isn't a plug but is drain from the RO.

The horizontal does not get plugged, just gets a bit mucked. Because it is so vertically close to the p trap that splash back or fill up occurs before flow?

Space is just so limited in here. Probably part of why plumber did it this less than awesome way.

My options that I can see that make sense (in order of most laborious to least):
To make flow look similar to Terry's post;

1) Cut dry wall and move the drain line to the left a few inches so the trap is closer to the RO tank and perpendicular to the wall.
2) Cut and angle (45 or 90) wall pipe as is so P trap is closer to RO tank. These will both require putting in at least one 45 (probably two) to jog the left drain around the tank. As it is the drain is already being pushed a bit by the tank.

2b) Unless I can find a more narrow RO tank that still holds around 4 gallons. This has 11" diameter.

3) Call the general contractor who did the construction and tell them the plumber did a half ass drain job and make him fix it.

Thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The first thing to do is find a plumber who knows how to install a proper drain. That looks like one I threw away last week because the water kept coming up in the sink when the disposer was turned on. IF it is done properly there will be plenty of space for the storage tank, and everything will drain properly. After I repiped it and the sinks drained properly, the customer thought I was a genius.

vinnithenose

Reaction score
yeah, but

The GC is responsible for quality work. At least in CA that's how it goes. Perhaps I should make him bring in another sub (plumber) from the one who did this. But I paid for this to be done, per plans and per code. Should I have to pay again? Should the inspector (who was a plumber by trade) have signed off on this.

And again I ask. Is it a not good idea to put a 45 or two in the drain basket line in addition to some additional bends in the wall drain line. So far it all drains ok. (no lag, no back up).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks