(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typical drain pipe size for IPC code?

If a house is grandfathered in its the old plumbing and electric that they are talking about, the one thing that most people dont understand is when you start remodeling you must bring everything up to the new codes. Some things are imposssible like the framing and the inspector will take that into consideration, but if new plumbing or electricity is installed it must be installed according to the local codes and the building authority that nis in effect at the time of the remodeling project

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Pretty much everywhere in the us has a code to follow...
    So I great the codes? we don't have no stinkin codes?
    Withe just a touch of skepticism...

If you don't want codes better move south of the border!
    PLEASE !!!!
    Someone please tell me what it is that I said wrong so I can correct myself.
    I didnt say I dont want to follow any codes...EVER.
    I thought this was a good place to ask questions because it said the name of this site is " Terry Loves & Remodel DIY forum "
    DIY = Do it yourself
    Please read the second statement I made on this thread which clearly states that we are not subject to plumbing codes so I want to make sure its done right. I can not help it if there is not a law enforcing these codes and this is exactly why Im here.

Quote Originally Posted by jnaas2 View Post
    If a house is grandfathered in its the old plumbing and electric that they are talking about, the one thing that most people dont understand is when you start remodeling you must bring everything up to the new codes. Some things are imposssible like the framing and the inspector will take that into consideration, but if new plumbing or electricity is installed it must be installed according to the local codes and the building authority that nis in effect at the time of the remodeling project
    Yes sir you are exactly right. I was just talking to the wife a few minutes ago and we are going to make some phone calls in the next few days to find out what the plumbing codes are in our area to follow and to see who our new inspector is. Like I told her though they might not be much to welcome us help since weve been grandfathered in and havent paid for a permit but we will see. Im paying for these steps to be done correctly and thats the way I want it done.
    Thanks for the help.

I just noticed that you are in Tennessee and under the heading of "better late than never".

1. Yes, Tennessee is under the IPC. There may be local amendments or preferences.

1. Sad but true, there are counties in Tennessee where there are no code inspections or enforcement with the exception of electrical. Electrical code enforcement and inspections are handled by state inspectors, not local.

This can get confusing for someone outside of the building trades. By state law you are subject to a plumbing code. The state, however, leaves inspection and enforcement up to the local governments, which sometimes do not have the resources to enforce the code. Think of it this way - you're driving down a road with a 45 mph speed limit. Just because there's not a law enforcement officer around to check your speed doesn't mean there's not a speed limit in place.

If the newly minted plumbing inspector can't help you out, you may want to look into bringing in a third party to perform the inspections for you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sjsmithjr; 08-24-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    -Sam Smith
    Licensed Professional Geologist - AL, TN, KY