(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typical drain pipe size for IPC code?

Default Typical drain pipe size for IPC code?

I was going to use 1-1/2" drain pipe for sinks, tub/shower, utility sink, and washing machine drain that will all lead into the 4" drain. My question is should I use a larger diameter like 2" or will the 1-1/2" be just fine ?

IPC Plumbing Code
    International Plumbing Code
    http://www.internationalcodes.net/20...-2047-09.shtml

Georgia's Construction Codes
    Mandatory Code:
    Georgia State Minimum Standard Mechanical Code (International Mechanical Code with Georgia State Amendments)
    Last edited by Terry; 08-23-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

1-1/2" will work for sinks. In some newer codes the washing machine must be a 3" drain with a 2" trap.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

That sounds great. Thanks for the heads up and even though we are not subject to plumbing codes (other than septic) I want the person doing the work to make sure its done right thus all my dumb questions to make sure they do so.

IPC Plumbing Code

Mandatory Code:
    Georgia State Minimum Standard Mechanical Code (International Mechanical Code with Georgia State Amendments)
    Last edited by Terry; 08-23-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mudball View Post
    That sounds great. Thanks for the heads up and even though we are not subject to plumbing codes (other than septic) I want the person doing the work to make sure its done right thus all my dumb questions to make sure they do so.
    Are you in the United States? If so you do have a plumbing code to follow. Your state may not have their own code, but they do follow one of the many codes out there. It could be IRC, BOCA, UPC, what ever building code your state follows.

It really amazes me when people post there is no plumbing code for them to follow, or they do not have to follow a code, due to they are doing their own work, or they are so far out in a rural area there are no inspectors. What do you think the guys building homes in your area follow? Or do you really think they just do it how they fell it should be done?

Please do not take this as a personal attack or anything. I just want you to realize there is a code out there you should be following. If your locality doesn't have an inspector, then check with your county, and if they do not have one I guarantee you there is a state inspector that will be more than happy to inspect the plumbing in your area. I have had state inspectors on my job site for a few different reasons(local inspector interrupting the code wrong, or the lack of a local inspector).

I think the thing you must realize is that codes are not troublesome roadblocks designed to cause tradesmen and homeowners grief. They are there to protect your health and safety. Consider some of the third worlds countries that have no plumbing codes. Sewage contaminates the water, stench from untrapped drains is common, electrical connections are fires waiting to happen, and on and on. We DIYers often don't realize the whys of many of the requirements, but there are reasons behind them. I would encourage you to find out what codes your area operates under and make sure your job is done properly.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IPC Plumbing Code

Mandatory Code:
    You are not even close on your sizing.
    I suggest you talk to your local plumbing inspector, where you are buying your plumbing permit.
    If you live in the State of Georgia, then it's mandatory that you have a plumbing permit.

Default drains

Codes are a minimum acceptable installation. I NEVER install drain lines less than 2" regardless of what the code would allow.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Codes are a minimum acceptable installation. I NEVER install drain lines less than 2" regardless of what the code would allow.
    I like the way you think

I sure didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest. Just for the record I live in a rural area in central TN. Our county just recently voted in and passed some good building codes and badly needed regulations that now people MUST build from. We were grandfathered in because we started building our house before they passed the codes and regulations. I hate to admit it but we could have a plumber install 1/4" drain lines and we and/or they do NOT have to follow any codes or regulations and so we would be screwed. Im sure that we would have problems if we went that small but that is exactly why Im here and what I thought this forum was for...to ask questions about situations such as ours because I do care about trying to get it done right and we DO have jack-legs out here that will slap in anything they want and tell you that its just fine. I dont know if Im going to have time to sit down and read all the plumbing codes when a simple question (I thought) might have a simple answer. Im sorry if my response of the FACT that we are not subject to codes/regulations/inspectors/permits offended anyone. Im trying to better educate myself to make sure that at least one of the many different plumbers I get quotes from are going to (I hope) do the job right.
    Thanks for posting the codes for me and I do like the response about going to a minimum of 2" regardless of codes. I would rather be safe than sorry if cost difference is not that great. Again I just want to make sure the job is done right. I now will also have to find out who our new plumbing inspector is now that we have one and see if he will help me because I didnt think of that until these responses.
    Thanks for all the help.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    I like the way you think
    If you ask any Chicago plumber what sizes he uses for DWV, he will always tell you 2" and 4" period. There is no 3", or 1 1/2".

Chigago, Chicago that toddling town....

Where men are men and plumbers are plumbers.

That sounds good I like the idea of keeping it even number and keeping it simple as possible.
    DWV = ?
    drain, water, vent ?
    Im trying to act as a general contractor through this slow building process and it is really good to educate myself as much as time will allow me to do for each different building project/profession and the contractors that I talk to can tell it when I meet with them and it seems to help keep them straight.
    Right now Im drawing up the measurements of where the sink,tub/shower, utility sink, washing machine will be located.

My profile says Atlanta GA
    I kept wondering why GA plumbing codes were posted. Its even more strange that I never entered that into my profile to begin with.
    Well at least it allowed me to change and correct it
    Last edited by Mudball; 08-23-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudball View Post
    DWV = ?
    drain, water, vent ?

Drains, Wastes and vents

but that was close

Pretty much everywhere in the us has a code to follow...
    So I great the codes? we don't have no stinkin codes?
    Withe just a touch of skepticism...

If you don't want codes better move south of the border!