fleck 5600 valve

Users who are viewing this thread

mywater

Reaction score
I have a new Fleck 5600 filter head and would like to know if it can be used as a softener? If yes, do I only need the brine valve and brine cam gear, or do I need more changes? Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO this is not a good idea. You need a softener piston and possibly the seal and spacers for it. The right injector and throat, probably a new resin type distributor tube, resin, gravel underbed, salt tank, brine pickup tube w/air check etc. etc. but, you are going to end up with a time clock day timer unless you have a metered filter.

You would be better off buying a new softener with a softener version or a softener with a Clack WS-1.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
It CAN be done. The real question is whether it makes economic sense. If you check prices for a complete softener online and then price the components it is quickly obvious that the pricing is somewhat like new cars--the price of a softener as a complete unit is a fraction of the price of the individual components.

A further complication is you need to determine exactly what you currently have before you can even begin to price out what you need.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes a new softener version power head is a choice until you price it and all the other parts needed.

A backwashed filter doesn't have an injector because they don't have a brine valve body or brine valve. And a regenerated filter won't have the right injector and throat for a softener.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
I would contact Andy at Softenerparts.com. He's a wealth of knowledge and sells all the Fleck parts and could easily tell you what you'll need and how much it would cost - or if it's even worth doing.

My home has Fleck 5600 controls for both the acid neutralizer and softener. He's been extremely helpful, he's very responsive to emails, and his videos on youtube show just how easy the Fleck is to overhaul. Gave me the confidence to tear into my 10+ year old controls and replace the seals & spacers, a bunch of o-rings, and clean out the filter screen. I figured as long as I'm going to open it, I want to basically overhaul it. It's really a piece of cake to work on.

In retrospect, even though the parts were relatively cheap, I should have called or emailed Andy first.

Last edited:

mywater

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Looks to be more hassle than it's worth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks