Jumbo Wax Seal/Double Wax Seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveMar

Reaction score
We had some durastone flooring removed from a bathroom and replaced with porcelain tile. This replacement also included the addition of cement board Durarock above the subflooring and beneath the porcelain tile. When I attempted to replace the toilet after flooring completion, I found that using a regular wax seal or jumbo wax seal still did not create a seal between the bowl horn and the flange, too much vertical distance was created thru the addition of both the durarock and the tile. I am worried about leakage, even though the horn did insert into the flange upon installation.

I am wondering if using a double layer of wax seals is the answer here, of if there are other good options?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They have replacement rings that used with silicone and installed right will bring the flange height up to the correct level...or you can replace the whole flange and set it on the finished floor...using a double layer of wax might work but when plunging you may blow the wax out and flood the floor

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Wax ring question

In an ideal install the toilet flange will sit on top of the finished floor. A simple wax ring with no gasket is all that is need to finish the job.

We have repaired in the past 7 years 4 leaky toilets - these are clients who hired us for something else and while using their washroom noticed a rock, a stain or a smell and suggested we take a closer leak. In one case the wax ring had blown away like mentioned above.

For less than $30.00 there are some great flange extender kits available. If you can get one kit that brings the flange level with the finished floor use that with a fat max wax ring and if the extender kit brings the flange up so it sits above the finished floor (No more than 3/16") us a plan old wax ring.

One thing we have noticed is that the slow leak usually has weakened the sub floor. You should open the ceiling up below the toilet if possible to install some new blocking so that the new flange bites into fresh glued and screwed wood.

SteveMar

Reaction score
Jumbo Wax Ring

The house is about 15 years old, and we've had it for the last two years. Clearly, the flange was installed during the original construction. More recently, the floor folks tiled just about up to the flange. A jumbo wax ring was not quite enough, a small gap was left between the ring and the flange, which I am significantly worried about now.

The way the floor is now tiled, I don't believe that it is a good option to redo the flange so it fits above the finished floor, although I agree that would be the better way to go.

But I will look into the proposed options, and welcome other options.

Thanks
Steve

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Repair

You will find the flange extender kits come with multiple thicknesses so one will work for you.

This is not a hard fix. Make sure when you screw this ring down you bite into solid wood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks