Drain pipe leak ( see pics) suggestions please

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnMiller.us70

Reaction score
Hi There,

Question about washer drainage pipes and possible overflow. If I reduce pvc pipe from 2'' to 1 1/2\'' for my washer machine drainage will that create over flow? Reducing will take place on the same pipe were is air vent for drain just 10 feet bellow in the basement. We just installed everything for w\d but because it is older house drain pipe in the basement is rusty so it leaks when we connected pipe to it( see pics) .
johnmillerus70

or link to pics : http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmillerus70/

Solutions:
1- i Want insert pvc pipe into metal drain to skip using rusty pipe but I am concern about possible overflow cause by reducing the drain pipe size.

2-clean rust and use epoxy putty and waterprof sealing tape.
3- remove old pipe and\or lower stub( concern because it old pipes should I even try move it) and go with 2'' all the way to main sewer pipe.

Please send me your opinions.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
John Miller
Washington DC

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Newer model washers require a 2" drain and it may not be reduced in size. That's not an opinion, that is a fact. If you try to drain into a 1-1/2" standpipe, you are asking for overflow. Also, the neoprene Fernco sleeve is not kosher for above ground use. You need a banded coupler.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should replace the combo fitting with a Santee.
The combo makes it like an S trap.

You can and should use a combo for venting when it's layed horizontal, but not vertical.

Sometimes you can pull the 1.5" pipe out of the 2" hub fitting and use a fernco hub sleeve.

washer_b4.jpg

Below the hub you can see the lead we pulled out,
in the hub is the new 2" pipe with Fernco insert.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks