(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Washer stuck to copper pipe

Unhappy Washer stuck to copper pipe

Hi

We are trying to fit a plastic speed fit elbow 15mm onto our water pipe in our bathroom in order to connect a new shower unit to it. However we cannot remove the old copper washer used with the existing fitting :? - (I think it's called an adaptor?)

We cannot use the existing fitting as we have had the walls plastered & re-iled (they needed it!) & this has resulted in less space between the shower unit & wall. The speed fit connector gives us the extra centimeter we need to get the shower back on for a perfect fit!

We have tried everything to get the washer off but to no avail, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default washer

Depending on what you call a "washer", it could be a ferrule in which case you need a "ferrule puller" to extract it.

A picture would help. Your use of the term "washer" may be inaccurate.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Assuming you are talking about a ferrule used in a compression fitting, the ferrule puller should work. It's sort of like a gear puller, they come in various sizes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Smile Further info

Hi

After some more internet research I've found out that it's a compression ring & nut, & the nut is stuck, it seems like a common problem, but I couldn't find any info before as I didn't know the correct terms!!

So I think a puller would be the answer, hopefully, thanks for posting back

Tools like this puller are fairly easy to find in rental stores in the US. I infer that you are not in the US since you are using metric sizing. You might shop a bit more and see if you can find a brass fitting instead of the plastic.

Default ferrule

Another problem might be that ferrule pullers usually only come in the size to remove 1/2"-5/8"" ferrules and you may have a different sized copper tube.