Archway, Help please...I'm out of ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here is the latest update. I'm working on the coffered like ceiling. I'm also building the soffit. I fell in love at the lobby(ceiling part) near the restroom at Spring Hills Mall. That's the one I'm copying. The soffit is lower than the coffered in the middle. I really like the effect. Hopefully, the one I'm making will also come out nice.

I wasted so much time on the drawing board as well as how I will attach the woods to the ceiling. After a week of drawing->calculating->drawing, so on, I was able to start working again. I'm hoping to finish the framing by end of October.

Here is the latest pic taken few minutes ago. I just finished framing the soffit near the motion sensor. Sorry about the mess, that's how I work. LOL. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
A lot of us work in that manner .... I do too.

You may want to consider using select 2x4 studs for that framing. You want it to be dead on.

I've used 2x2's to frame soffits and I found that the time it takes to find straight ones, brace it adequately and just fight its flimsiness really adds up. To me it's not much of a cost savings.

I've also seen metal studs used.

Food for thought.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A lot of us work in that manner .... I do too.

You may want to consider using select 2x4 studs for that framing. You want it to be dead on.

I've used 2x2's to frame soffits and I found that the time it takes to find straight ones, brace it adequately and just fight its flimsiness really adds up. To me it's not much of a cost savings.

I've also seen metal studs used.

Food for thought.

Yes, it took me almost an hour to find 40 straight 2x2s. :)

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quick question folks. I always use those plastic drywall corners with holes. I saw another one at Home Depot and it's made out of a thin metal with an outside paper. How do we use them? Do we apply mud first then install it so the mud acts like a glue?

Lakee911

Reaction score
quick question folks. I always use those plastic drywall corners with holes. I saw another one at Home Depot and it's made out of a thin metal with an outside paper. How do we use them? Do we apply mud first then install it so the mud acts like a glue?

I've used metal outside corners, but it had no paper. Screw it down and then mud on top of it. Worked nicely.

Lakee911

Reaction score
It might be too late for you, but I wanted to let you know that the October 2009 edition of The Family Handyman Magazine has a nice article for an easy DIY coffered ceiling.

Jason

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The corner bead you're referring to gets applied with a special spray glue. I've used that type of corner bead twice and both times the glue has released in spots making bubbles under the paint. I won't use it again.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It might be too late for you, but I wanted to let you know that the October 2009 edition of The Family Handyman Magazine has a nice article for an easy DIY coffered ceiling.

Jason

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if what I'm doing is really called coffered ceiling. The common coffered ceiling I've seen on the internet are like 4-5" thick. I have a DIY link for it and it's really easy to follow and saves a lot of money on wood. However, I didn't use it since I'm doing a different type of coffered ceiling.

On the side(soffit), it's 4" thick only by 10" inches wide. At the middle, it's 2" thick only by 8" wide. I saw this design at the mall. The effect was more like contemporary. It was gorgeous! :)

This is the link I was referring to earlier. However, when I saw the coffered ceiling at the mall, I fell in love with it and decided to do the same.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The corner bead you're referring to gets applied with a special spray glue. I've used that type of corner bead twice and both times the glue has released in spots making bubbles under the paint. I won't use it again.

Yep, I saw some bubbling too at my friend's house 2 weeks ago. His house is 1 year old. He escalated it to the builder and luckily it was still covered.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks really good. I hate drywall so I would be doing this in wood and trimming everything out, so I give you props for drywalling it. Just out of curiousity, is your inspiration Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee? I live about 40 minutes from there.

BINGO!!! You got it! Have you seen it? It is so gorgeous!!! :)

What do you think about the one in Spring Hills Mall?

UPDATE: I wasn't able to do anything today. My body is so so sore after I helped my friend yesterday morning with hauling a way sofas, entertainment center, side tables from an auction down to his place in Lake in the Hills. Didn't feel the pain this morning but now, it's bad. :(

Last edited:

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just an update: I've completed the drywalling all the underside. I'll be working on all the sides tomorrow. I'm targeting to mud on Friday. :)

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Another update, hehehe. I finally completed the installation of drywall and corner beads. I can start mudding tomorrow or maybe work on the pillar. My hands are so sore. I guess I need to rest for a day. :)

I'll post a picture when everything is complete, when all furnitures are back! :p

Oh, I used 3M adhesive for the corner beads. I wanted try it so I'll know which one I need to use for my next project. It is was sticky. Glad I put a huge plastic on the floor. However, both my feet became so sticky as well since I was bare footed. All the dirt married happily with my feet. LOL. I'm not sure if this will be easy to remove later once I take a shower.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks really good. I hate drywall so I would be doing this in wood and trimming everything out, so I give you props for drywalling it. Just out of curiousity, is your inspiration Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee? I live about 40 minutes from there.

Looks like I'm going to use wood next time. It's very time consuming. I'm 98% complete on the mudding/sanding and it's looking really good now. I think this Saturday, we'll be able to paint it. :)

So with wood, how do I hide the joints? Are there any wood putties that can be spread easily just like how they do it in huge dents in cars in the old days?

Oh, the server where I was hosting the pictures went down. I'll try to upload it on my server in the basement. :)

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Update:

Column moldings are 95% complete. Also started working on the chair rails. We'll be priming/painting everything on weekend.

Hopefully, 1 more week and I'm done! :)

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I might not be able to post a picture of the project anymore but I'll do my best to post it sometime end of this year. I'll become very busy starting December.

Anyways, I forgot that my childhood friend will be visiting us and as well as stay. We started painting very early morning of the 20th. Then in the evening, we had to restore everything even if the paint wasn't complete yet. This pic was taken last Nov 20 after we cleaned and restored the furnitures. I lost about a week of work since they just left this afternoon. I'll resume the work tomorrow. :)

It was very stressful the day before they came! Hahaha. :p

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!!!

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That is really looking beautiful.

Thanks Cookie! :)

My wife is asking me to upgrade the lights in the kitchen too. Hahaha. She also wants 3 long metal rod lights above the island. I don't know how they call it. I'm not sure if that's a good idea. She showed me some and it looks nice.

What other design can we add in there? We want a contemporary look but with some touch of classical design.

Thanks again.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You did a wonderful job! Are you still going to do the kitchen lighting?

Yes, but next year. I don't think I'll be able to complete the lightings by Dec 24 since I will be hosting a Christmas party.

Thank you so much too! :)

Cookie

Reaction score
You are welcome. Your work reminds me of my late husband's. He did great work, too. We were on our way to building an A Frame house when he passed. He had 2 degrees, one was in Architecture the other EE. He did all the designing and my Uncles are contractors who built most the area in which I live, both commercial (hospitals) and residential, and was going to do our work. The lighting in this house was going to be very unique especially the kitchen & bath. I worked alongside my husband on numerous projects being his right arm in either scheduling conduit a nothing easy job, doing the mathematics on NASA wind tunnels a little bit harder, or just handing him a flashlight, lol. ( my favorite part) Our disciplines clicked well together and we had a lot of fun. Enjoy your party you deserve it!

Congrats on a job well done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks