Washer stuck to copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

bertie

Reaction score
Hi

We are trying to fit a plastic speed fit elbow 15mm onto our water pipe in our bathroom in order to connect a new shower unit to it. However we cannot remove the old copper washer used with the existing fitting :? - (I think it's called an adaptor?)

We cannot use the existing fitting as we have had the walls plastered & re-iled (they needed it!) & this has resulted in less space between the shower unit & wall. The speed fit connector gives us the extra centimeter we need to get the shower back on for a perfect fit!

We have tried everything to get the washer off but to no avail, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming you are talking about a ferrule used in a compression fitting, the ferrule puller should work. It's sort of like a gear puller, they come in various sizes.

Attachments

• ferrule puller.jpg
    ferrule puller.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,631

bertie

Reaction score
Further info

Hi

After some more internet research I've found out that it's a compression ring & nut, & the nut is stuck, it seems like a common problem, but I couldn't find any info before as I didn't know the correct terms!!

So I think a puller would be the answer, hopefully, thanks for posting back

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tools like this puller are fairly easy to find in rental stores in the US. I infer that you are not in the US since you are using metric sizing. You might shop a bit more and see if you can find a brass fitting instead of the plastic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ferrule

Another problem might be that ferrule pullers usually only come in the size to remove 1/2"-5/8"" ferrules and you may have a different sized copper tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks