If they've got Bill wrong, I'm dead

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The weather forecasters keep saying that the 125 mph hurricane, affectionately named "Bill", that appears to be heading straight for the East Coast, near which I live in the Great Nation's Capital, is going to do a last minute u-ey and save us all.

They might get it wrong.

If you do not hear from me on Monday then you can fear the worst.

And you West Coast fellas can start expanding your yards eastwards.

I hope thay are not Bill sh!tting me.

map_tropprjpath03_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Time to bury the power lines.

Fortunately I have a Zoeller sump pump and GFCI receptacles which should protect me in the event Bill makes a head on to my house.

If it strengthens to a Category 4, I may need to consider a Zoeller Aquanot II. But let's not jump the gun.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Jesus, not you too Scuba Dave?

Come Monday there might not be any DIYers left on this site!

Just a bunch of West Coast Plumbers and a handful of other remodeling professionals that came here by mistake while looking for the NACHI forum.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Don't be such a wuss Ian. :D I had a strong cat 4 within spitting distance from my house. You take sensible precautions and hunker down for an hour or two. For the most part anyway.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I'm ready to throw all the pool furniture into the pool
Learned that from Florida friends :D

Just hoping my cupola & new roof are OK
Waiting on my fake slate to finish the roof
Picked up a nice weathervane to go up there too
Plus I'm hooking up a wire for my flux capicitator to power my car

scuba-dave-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
I had a tornado right down on top of me in Al, McFarland blvd... always new trees, new buildings, couldn't figure it out right away, lol, until... the first one struck.

Then, 4 more...

Storms scare the heck out of most people, and I am one of them!

But, they always pass. No worries mate.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had a recurrent nightmare since the age of about 3 that I will die in a tornado (which is ridiculous because we have already established in the health and wellbeing part of the forum that it will be a heart attack that gets me).

Remember, for most of my life I have had this dream while living in England, where there are no tornadoes.

Then destiny brings me to the US, where there are such storms.

In my dying moments, I hear an extremely loud noise, everything is black and then everything goes quiet. It's about this point that I wake up.

Dave, your house looks like it has a house on the side of it.

That is not an "extension". It's a "neighbor"!

I see it is already "Cat 4-proof" though. The EasyGard should take care of that. I'd move the F-150 inside the garage if a Cat-5 threatens though.

Does Cat-5 cable withstand Cat-5 hurricanes?

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hurricane_Charley_Loop_Full.gif

My house is right about where the "s" is in Fort Myers (Fort myers is actually to the south across the river). That sucker actually had me pretty concerned, the house was breathing!

Ian,
I know tornadoes can happen in the DC area but it's pretty rare. At least you didn't end up in KS. I'd take a hurricane over a tornado any day of the week. Florida tornadoes are usually pretty mild, we used to chase them back in high school, but we did have one last week that flipped a car against the corner of a house. Story Here

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What do you mean the house was breathing?

Pressurizing and depressurizing, at least it seemed that way. Probably had something to do with the continuous soffit. It sucked, my in-laws, sister and brother were here also as we have the newest house, building codes got a serious bump after Andrew tore up Miami/Homestead.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sounds nasty.

I am still sure my Zoeller sump pump would save the day.

You can breach the levies, but you won't breach my M53 with a built-in float switch.

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the Zoeller which pumped,
and gave that right to me.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, now you entered into a hobby of mine since I was a kid, dream analysis!

As soon as I read your dream I saw it. I didn't even have to think. You are able to see the turbulence in some things and this frightens you, as it would me, and most people. You don't like things to be confusing, you like things to be straightforward and honest. Pure. Nothing muddled. You were probably very very smart when you were little and you most likely, felt or saw some kind of confusion around you. You need to seek the calm in your life, to seek out the famililar. I think what you said, about having a full -body massage was right on the money. You could probably fare better by deep breathing excercises and please don't laugh, yoga.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
As soon as I read your dream I saw it. I didn't even have to think. You are able to see the turbulence in some things and this frightens you, as it would me, and most people. You don't like things to be confusing, you like things to be straightforward and honest. Pure. Nothing muddled. You were probably very very smart when you were little and you most likely, felt or saw some kind of confusion around you. You need to seek the calm in your life, to seek out the famililar. I think what you said, about having a full -body massage was right on the money. You could probably fare better by deep breathing excercises and please don't laugh, yoga.

That's actually pretty good. It all started when my mum and dad divorced at that age. Nasty nasty arguments. They didn't think I knew what was going on (I was three), but I did. I still remember them to this day.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, kids are like sponges, especially if you get a bright one, then, as adults you wonder why you feel so weighed down, not realizing it stems from the saturation of the sights & sounds of childhood.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hurricane_Charley_Loop_Full.gif

My house is right about where the "s" is in Fort Myers (Fort myers is actually to the south across the river). That sucker actually had me pretty concerned, the house was breathing!

Ian,
I know tornadoes can happen in the DC area but it's pretty rare. At least you didn't end up in KS. I'd take a hurricane over a tornado any day of the week. Florida tornadoes are usually pretty mild, we used to chase them back in high school, but we did have one last week that flipped a car against the corner of a house. Story Here

How's the weather there now?
I just got hit with lightening, I thought a bomb exploded, and the cat ran nearly, up my arms.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I have had a recurrent nightmare since the age of about 3 that I will die in a tornado (which is ridiculous because we have already established in the health and wellbeing part of the forum that it will be a heart attack that gets me).

Remember, for most of my life I have had this dream while living in England, where there are no tornadoes.

Then destiny brings me to the US, where there are such storms.

In my dying moments, I hear an extremely loud noise, everything is black and then everything goes quiet. It's about this point that I wake up.

Dave, your house looks like it has a house on the side of it.

That is not an "extension". It's a "neighbor"!

I see it is already "Cat 4-proof" though. The EasyGard should take care of that. I'd move the F-150 inside the garage if a Cat-5 threatens though.

Does Cat-5 cable withstand Cat-5 hurricanes?

You are safe then - this is a Hurricane !!

The nice thing about the addition is that it is set back from the rest of the house
Coming down the street you can't see it, especially with the trees

scuba-dave-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
How much do you want to bet that IF you wanted to get hurricane insurance up north, they'd take your money and the policy didn't take effect the day you committed to the policy?

I bet two custard filled donuts that would be the case, where they purposely wouldn't pay a claim...or didn't tell you of certain additional coverages you should of purchased.

That's where a shotgun and an ending come together nicely. Don't need to be Jim Morrison from The Doors singing a song to know what's coming.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
How's the weather there now?
I just got hit with lightening, I thought a bomb exploded, and the cat ran nearly, up my arms.

Weather is great now....that pic was from 2004.
I love Florida weather for the most part, it get's hot and sticky but I go from my AC'd house to my AC'd truck to my AC'd office. When I am doing outdoor stuff it's for pleasure mostly so it doesn't bother me much.

I HATE snow, I moved back up to NJ a few years ago, by the third time it snowed and I still had FL tags on my car I came to my senses. I love calling my buds in MI, NJ and NY from November through March just to ask them how's their weather. :D

SWFL is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks