Pump starter turns off after 9 seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

robertpatterson

Reaction score
My well pump shuts off after 9 seconds. Water comes through and then it turns off. I turn it back on, it does the same thing. The timing is always the same. After several attempts of me turning the power on/off, it kicks on and fills up the tank. Sometimes, the pump works the first time.

Is there something wrong with the electronics or is it the well pump?

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like a starting capacitor, a starting relay, or both in the control box. Do you have a control box on the wall? It could also be a pressure switch not making good contact.

robertpatterson

Reaction score
The control box is a foot off the ground. The water is stored in a tank. Where is a pressure switch? On the pump or on the controls. As you see, I am lost.

Can I just replace the capacitor and starting relay? I'll post a picture.

Thanks again

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Can you give us any info on the pump. The pressure switch is mostly located in front of the pressure tank or nearby mounted on the wall next to control box, if there is one. Normally a gray cover and if removed has 4 wires inside it, held down by screws, plus maybe a ground wire or two. Don't touch any wires underneath unless you're familiar with electricity. If you know someone who has amp and ohm meters and can check these, I would check the pump to see what the amp draw is while the pump is running, and check for an electrical short as well. Let us know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks