1/2" copper to a 3/4" radiator!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

bick421

Reaction score
Hi,

I am performing a bathroom remodel. Part of my scope of work requires that I remove a 2.5'x2.5' cast iron radiator, and replace with a 5' baseboard radiator. The system is hot water.

The 5' baseboard (and the cast iron) are set up for 3/4" plumbing. The previous remodel employed 1/2" copper supply and return to the cast iron radiator. It seemed to work okay (with the c.i. radiator).

My question is since I have it all ripped up, should i spend the time and money (~$50) to run new 3/4" copper service to the main system? The main system is 1" iron (i think? - the o.d. is 1.25"). I don't want to go through the effort if this will work just fine. I am concerned about head losses due to the changing diameters, and I don't want to discover a problem in January.

The new baseboard is the 5' Slant/Fin model (3/4" copper tube w/ aluminum fins shrouded by a steel cover.

Finally, the bathroom radiator is the only radiator supplied by these lines, which split off the main trunk line in the basement.

Thanks for your help!
Mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks