Main drain line lining, good or bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Galina

Reaction score
Hi, I have this problem with roots in my mail drain line and, surprise, surprise! try to avoid $6-8 K for replacing the pipe; found special lining (plastic sleeve that goes into the pipe) which prevent root growth, does anyone knows anything about it? does it work? will it still be possible to use the motorized snake for the main lines if case of clogging?
Any information is very welcomed!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I've seen a system that uses a hybrid figerglass lining that is steam activated. That system is and has been used to repair existing lines without digging up the whole drain system. Is this what you are looking at?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lining

If the liner just slides into the sewer, then roots will still grow behind it and deform the liner. IF it is epoxy bonded to the pipe, it SHOULD minimize root intrusion, but since roots have IMMENSE power, there is still a possibility that eventually they could dislodge it. You also have to be certain that the roots are completely removed from the pipe so the liner makes perfect contact with the entire interior of the pipe. Like many other things, you do have to accept the finished product on faith, because you cannot check to see if the bonding occurred or if it occurred on the entire pipe. You might also have a problem if there are any connections to the pipe within the lined area.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Why not just fix it? Find where the roots are (hire someone with s camera and locater) and if it's not more than 7 feet or so deep, grab a shovel...

Jason

pjonesCET

Reaction score
Website
www.phillipmjones.net
My mother and I live in a 62 year old rental house. and for years we had problem with roots with the original teracota pipes. Then when we ended up the only house left in our block the owner put in special Cast iron pipe withe special flanges that prevent root growth. we went for years. Then city came along several years ago and because of road widening broke up sections of the pipe both at house and at road edge and replace with plastic pipe and used ruber unions with stainless steel straps. Now we haven't nothing but trouble with roots.

If your going to replace pipes for roots get those pipes I refer to so that roots have no way of getting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

I have never heard of or seen any cast iron sewer pipe with flanges of any kind, much less root proof flanges, (which any would be if they were available).

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have seen these liners fail. A city here been lining home owners sewers to help stop infatuation. In a few of these homes they needed up digging and replacing the whole sewer due to the liner sliding. Also the cost of lining a sewer is not cheaper than digging. The advantage you get is you do not need to do a lot of landscape restoration which will save a few bucks there.

Galina

Reaction score
Why not just fix it? Find where the roots are (hire someone with s camera and locater) and if it's not more than 7 feet or so deep, grab a shovel...

It's about 35 feet long, part of it under the house addition, plumber said it would be around $6-8K for digging and replacing (I'm not sure I can do all digging myself); and I have full garden on top!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know much about them, but I've read about machines that can essentially push a pipe through the ground and you only need an access hole at each end. No idea how well they work, their limitations, or what it costs (or if anyone in your area has the machine and knowledge to use one). But, might be worth looking at if you don't want to tear up your gardens and other landscaping. Probably wouldn't work if you have a lot of rocks, but with normal soil, probably.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks