Septic drain line above ground after dirt settled.

Users who are viewing this thread

thomas_callahan

Reaction score
When my septic system was replaced just prior to buying my house, about a year and a half ago, they used the same drain pipe hole in the foundation that used to go to the old system, replacing all of the old cast iron drains in the house with PVC.

After a year and a half, the dirt has settled a few inches around where the pipe leaves the house so now the top of the pipe is exposed outside. Obviously I'll have to cover that just to keep the PVC from being damaged but I'm wondering what about freezing? The frost line around here (southern Rhode Island) is 40" I believe -- there's no way I can put 40" of dirt on top of that, the dirt would be up to my windowsills. But the old drain was in the same location and aparently it wasn't a problem then -- do drain lines not freeze as easily as supply lines or something? Can I just put 6 inches of dirt over it or is more drastic action required?

I attached a picture that shows the house foundation on the right and the pipe running under the grass through the middle right to left (the green thing is a temporary downspout extender).

Attachments

• PA240007.jpg
    PA240007.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Drain lines do not freeze unless they are stopped up and full of water, or there is a constand slow flow of water, such as from a leaking faucet, that permits the ice to build up gradually.

Hube

Reaction score
And remember, "running water never freezes" :) (then it would'nt be running)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hj

No true or rivers would never freeze over. It will freeze anytime it gets below the freezing point and there is not something "warmer" nearby to keep it from freezing.

Hube

Reaction score
Hey, HJ. think about it :) running water never freezes . if its still running it has not frozen yet.
Have you ever see "frozen running water"? If so (but I hardly think not) what shape was it" :) :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Is a running back, still a running back after he is tackled? Have you ever had to tackle a running toilet, (they can be elusive)? You have to get into calculus to determine the exact point where "running" water stops and becomes "frozen" water, but a river can freeze over and then the water is still running but the layer that is contact with the "unrunning" frozen water will defect and join the frozen stuff, (probably because of fatigue and laziness).

Hube

Reaction score
Your a plumber, ok?
does that mean you pick plums off of trees?... :) And in the case of the "running back"...how come he always tries to run Forward if he's a running back? :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks