Toilet Flushes-Bathtub Gurgles

Users who are viewing this thread

Zorji

Reaction score
We are about to replace our builder grade 3.5gal flushers with 1.6 ada, elongated TOTOs. One bath has a weird quirk-when you flush the toilet the bathtub gurgles-nothing comes up in the tub just the gurgle sound from the tub drain. The old toilet has worked fine with very few plunging episodes in the past 7 yrs we have owned the house. Is this something we may be able to fix with the installation of the new toilet? Thanks to all the great info and advice here that lead me to purchasing an Ultramax & Mercer. Never though I could be excited about toilets!! Zorji

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think it will fix anything, the gurgle that is.

You may want to run a handsnake down the tub and see if that helps.

I'm sure you will be happy with your choices.
I installed a TOTO Mercer near Green Lake in Seattle.
It looked amazing in a home that old.

mercer_lid_down.jpg

Toto Mercer

To the left in the picture, you can see the cleanout for the old school drum trap on the tub.

Zorji

Reaction score
The toilets are now installed and the gurgle is gone! It seems the problem was inadequate venting and once we went from 3.5 gal flush to 1.6 the system was able to handle it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks