Checking Water Level - Sandpoint

Users who are viewing this thread

mistermango

Reaction score
Hello all. I started a thread a few months back (it's here) and got some great feedback from the community. I'm hoping to expand on that thread where it left off.

Conditman, suggested in that post that I probably have a sandpoint well. Does anyone know of a way of confirming that a well is, in fact, a sandpoint?

Also, how is the best way to check water level in a well? The supply line is 1.5" PVC, encased in concrete. I assume I can saw off just below the 90-degree elbow that turns the pipe toward my (broken) pump and access the well that way.

If I drop, say, a weighted string, will I be able to judge if there's water available? If so, how much should I be looking for to know that the sandpoint well (if that is what I have) is viable?

Photos of my situation are embedded in the thread linked above.

Thanks in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I do not see a check valve so there must be a foot valve at the bottom of the 1.5" pipe down in the well. If you cut the pipe and drop a string, you will only find out how deep it is to the check valve. I don't know what is under that concrete. I guess it could be a point well but, it is PVC pipe and would have to have been washed in. Wouldn't surprise me if the well is 4" pipe with 1.5" drop pipe for the pump, and just concreted instead of using a well seal.

mistermango

Reaction score
Thank you, valveman.

Does anyone have any advice on how to suss out what's going on under there?

Speedbump had suggested in my previous thread that I rent a pump and see if the well's viable. Any suggestions on how to do that on the cheap?

If there is a foot valve on the end of the PVC supply line, is there any way of telling if it's gone bad?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks