Frustrated with toilet (water in bowl goes down)

Users who are viewing this thread

buyonsale3

Reaction score
We purchased a new Jacuzzi Pefecta ($135) toilet from Lowes back in January for our half bath. Several months ago I noticed the hardwood around the front of the toilet buckling a bit.
Last month we took out the toilet and replaced the wax ring with a larger one as the original as it didn't look like it was sealing anything. After that, it seemed tight, everything was touching.
Now I noticed more buckling in areas surrounding the toilet and the water in the bowl (not tank) lowering throughout the day.

Could there be something else wrong with the toilet? I read somewhere that having a hairline crack could be a possibility or defect with the toilet.

I don't know what else could be wrong here. One other separate issue....whenever you flush the toilet, there's a long "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssss" sound as the tank fills, which seems to take forever. We've made adjustments but still makes that sound for a long time.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If water leaves the bowl, then it's a bad bowl.

One way to test it would be to pull it out and plug the outlet, then fill the bowl and wait.

If the water level goes down, then you know that the bowl has an internal leak and should not be used.

As far as the refill sound, most toilets are refilling in about a minute, plus or minus.

buyonsale3

Reaction score
It's definitely making that shhsssss sound much longer than a minute, closer to five minutes or so.
We've decided to go with the Toto Drake but trying to figure if we want a round or elongated bowl.

Any difference?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Elongated bowls are male friendly. After using an elongated bowl for awhile, going to a round bowl is, for lack of a better word, confining. I would also recommend you seriously consider comfort height, aka ADA.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; if I was (were?) King

Were, because it is subjunctive mode, indicating something other than reality. Take the toilet out, set it on a stand, then pour water into it until it come out of the outlet and let it dry out. Then if water drips from anywhere on the bottom of the bowl, it is defective.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
My grandma had one. Needless to say, she was not very happy with it. Yes, was. It was having the same problem with the water level in the bowl lowering immediately after it filled. Now in it's place is a Kohler Highline Class 5.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks