Replacing Well Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

stymie

Reaction score
I have a well that was dug in 1974. It used to supply the whole house. We have city water now and the tank etc. inside the utility room has been removed. I want to replace the old pump with one that will just run one spigot for watering the garden/lawn.

The well, according to the Ohio DNR records, shows the well as being 78 ft deep with a static water level at 30 ft. I have not pulled the old pump out yet. I need to know how big of pump I need and how to install it and what type of wire do I need to run underground into the fuse box in the garage? I would like to have some type of off/on switch at the pump. What is the difference between two and three wire pumps? What is this I am reading on different posts about pressure switches and compositors?

Any help would be appreciated...

Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well you might try to run the old pump before you pull anything, you might get lucky. Then if it doesn't work, usually the best thing is to go back with the same size pump that came out. Hopefully it was sized to the well but, if not you still have to start somewhere.

stymie

Reaction score
Pump does not work. I don't know how long ago that it was disconnected. What HP submersible pump should I buy for just one outside faucet? Also should it be a two wire or three?
Steve

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Did you hook up the pump to see if it will run?

Since the old pump served the whole house and all you want is one outside faucet, any pump that can deliver the volume of water you want from the depth of water in the well will be fine.

You'll also need a tank and pressure switch unless you open the faucet before turning the pump on, and then you might need a pressure tank anyway.

IMO that's a hellova lot of time money and effort to run one faucet a bit sometimes.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1/2 HP, 10 GPM pump will still do more than you need, but it is one of the smallest pumps available, and a very common size. Two wire would probably be easier for you but, it doesn't make any difference.

stymie

Reaction score
OK, so I can just use a 1/2 HP 2 wire pump to an always open faucet using #12 underground wire, running about 60 ft with an off/on switch in a box at the well head...?

Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yep! Just make sure no one ever closes the faucet, or puts one of those pistol grip spray nozzles that will close on the hose. Your pump won't last 2 minutes running against a closed valve.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
It might be a good idea, to place a pressure relief valve at the pump, "just in case"

stymie

Reaction score
Yep! Just make sure no one ever closes the faucet, or puts one of those pistol grip spray nozzles that will close on the hose. Your pump won't last 2 minutes running against a closed valve.

Thanks All for all of the info.

Now for another question. What if I wanted to run more than one faucet, or wanted to be able to turn the faucet/hose off? Could I add a tank outside and just drain it in the winter?

Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Turn the pump on with a switch, don't close the hose, and you get whatever pressure the pump can build, depending on the amount of water you are using.

Using a pressure switch and tank, the pump will cycle itself to death if you do not always use the proper amount of water.

Use one of these;
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_psidekick_apps.html

And you will have everything you need to be able to..... run a little water or a lot, turn the hose on and off at will, and not worry about the pump.

stymie

Reaction score
It might be a good idea, to place a pressure relief valve at the pump, "just in case"

Do you know what type of Pressure Relief Valve I would need for a 1/2HP 10GPM pump with a 1 inch pipe? Can you point me to a website where I can find out what you are talking about?

Thanks Again
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks