"Cricket" sound after turning off shower

Users who are viewing this thread

mav91

Reaction score
I've got a faucet (Delta I think) on my tub, one of those big plastic ball kinds that has the two washers-and-springs behind the ball (lift up to turn water on, turn left or right to adjust temperature). That part works fine, no leaks after moving the ball all the way down.

Below that is a rod that is the shower diverter. The shower head is a one of those basic shower massage head with a rubber hose.

So...I've noticed sometimes after I shower, it'll be quiet, but then a few minutes or later: for a few hours or a day I'll get a "cricket" off-and-on sound that maybe sounds like it's coming out of the plumbing in that bathroom by the tub. The faucet/spigot itself doesn't appear to leak at all once I put the ball all the way down.

Is this little off-and-on "cricket" noise a pressure thing after I shut if off? If I play with the diverter a little--moving the knob in and out--will it relieve pressure? The house is up for sale, so I'd rather not spend any money to fix it. Unless this like, totally, a huge deal. It doesn't do it all the tme, just sometimes.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Maybe you actually had a cricket stuck in there and now it's dead. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sound

Unless the diverter rod pops out as soon as you turn off the water, the cricket sound could be it popping out later. If so, it is sticking and should be replaced. Otherwise it could break, and when that happens the rod is ejected from the faucet and often hits you in a very sensitive part of your body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks