Diagnosing an ejector pit problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Tvarr

Reaction score
I have an ejector pit that overflowed a few months ago. I walked up to the pit and put my hand on the exit pipe and it began to work and I assumed vapor lock. Recently this is happening more and more, I just rattle the exit pipe and it clears it up.

My question: Is this due to
  1. Vapor lock?
  2. Bad check valve?
  3. Ejector pump slowly going bad?
  4. Something else I am not thinking of?
Any help for my piece of mind would be greatly appreciated before I spend the $$ to replace it all (its 10 years old).

Tvarr

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Zoeller sewage pump

I cant resist this one

if you have a Zoeller sewage pump it is probably a defective switch on the pump....
'
the bi-metal switch gets pitted over a few years and will not make contact., then all you have to do is thump the pipe or lightly jog it and it comes on...

that switch design is very cheap and crummey, I wont even waste my time trying to repair one becasue of all the troubles involved with it...

if it is a Zoeller
you might be able to put a separate switch on the verticle pipe and then tie up the float on the pump into the on position,
plug that wire into the new switch and get by that way..

have fun

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

The float switch is probably getting caught on something, possibly an accumulation of grease or soap. bumping the pipe dislodges it and lets it start.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Its more likely what HJ said, the switch is getting caught on something, when you bump the pipe it gets free and floats up and turns on. I am willing to bet its a tethered float switch in the pit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks