(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washer in basement-drain

Default Washer in basement-6' standpipe

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I glued a 1-1/4" pvc fitting to pvc pipe, up 6' with 2-90 degree fittings to create U into the standpipe. It works great! GE washer pump is supposed to be good up to 8' I hope the pump holds out.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Makes me sad to see people do washer drains like that on overhead sewers. Kind of defeats the advantage of not flooding into the basement when the city sewer backs up.

How else would one drain a washer in a basement into a main waste line 2-3 feet off the floor? My home has been connected to the town sewer line since 1972. There has never been any sort of problem. I have seen what can happen when a town system backs up. We had a hurricane type storm in my area a few years ago that flooded many towns. One sewer pumping station was at the bottom of a long grade. Water was 5 feet high in that pumping station and pushed up thru the homes in the area right thru the toilets......My company services backup generators and the one in that pump house was under water up to the air filter. We removed it and I repaired it. The tranfer switch was also under.......

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    How else would one drain a washer in a basement into a main waste line 2-3 feet off the floor? My home has been connected to the town sewer line since 1972. There has never been any sort of problem. I have seen what can happen when a town system backs up. We had a hurricane type storm in my area a few years ago that flooded many towns. One sewer pumping station was at the bottom of a long grade. Water was 5 feet high in that pumping station and pushed up thru the homes in the area right thru the toilets......My company services backup generators and the one in that pump house was under water up to the air filter. We removed it and I repaired it. The tranfer switch was also under.......
    They make a pump system that is supposed to be used, which has a check valve between the pump and the sanitary sewer.

Here give this a read. http://www.valleyadvocate.com/blogs/home.cfm?aid=9762 The home owner is blaming everyone but himself and his plumbing system for all the water damage he had gotten due to the city sewer backing up though his stand pipe, here is a picture that he had drawn in the yellow lines himself to show the path of how the water entered his basement. Now if he had installed the pump with the check valve and ran the washing machine to the pump his basement would have been dry still.

Default sewer

An overhead sewer means that EVERYTHING on the below grade level SHOULD be pumped out. Without a pump, how do you remove water from the basement?

I have no other fixtures in my basement other than the washers and have no need for a pump. How about adding some sort of check valves to the 2" PVC washer drains after the traps? When is a back water valve used on a sewer line? My town expanded it's sewer facility around 1972. I immediately had my house hooked to it. I was not home when that line was done. I assume it was just a pipe laid in the ground and connected from my house to the towns line at the street. There is some sort of access box in one of my driveways. Don't know whats down in there. I got a drawing not long ago showing the location of that access to the sewer line and dug down and found what appeared to be a piece of diamond plate. 4-6" down. So my point is.....when or why are backwater valves installed in a sewer line like my and wouldn't that prevent a sewage backup into a home?