(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer in basement-drain

Default Washer in basement-drain

I bought a house with the washer standpipe in the basement at a height of 6' above the floor. Washer drain hose is 5' and will not reach. I tried to use existing hose with a pvc connector into another hose and clamp them both, but one still leaks. Any one have any ideas?

Should I run 1" pvc up to the standpipe and glue on the washer end?

Hard to tell why they installed it that way, but 6' above the floor does not pass code for a washing machine standpipe.

You might be able to trim the pipe, but that depends:

At what height off the floor does the main drain exit the building?
    At what height off the floor is the trap on the washer stand pipe?

Picture would help.

You can use some permatex on the connectors, or buy a longer drain hose.

First, since the standpipe is too high, why not shorten it and get it up (or down) to code. This means venting and trapping as well as shortening. If you feel you must have a longer hose, just buy one that is the correct length. They are standard size. The drain end must be open where the hose enters the pipe, that's why a washer drain hose has a U shaped end. You should not need any kind of sealant on the washer end, just a good clamp.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

I got the impression that the horizontal piping was 6' above the floor height.

Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    At what height off the floor does the main drain exit the building?
    That's the question that needs to be answered.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Matt, you may be correct on that point, but he did say the "standpipe" was 6' off the floor. Of course, terms are not always used correctly. If he is trying to pump 6' up and into a horizontal pipe, he has real problems. It would require a solid connection, preclude a trap and vent. Other than that, there wouldn't be many other codes he could violate. I'd be interested in knowing how he'd keep sewage from drain back into the washer.

Get a longer washing machine drain hose, Sears sells them

2 Washers in basement of duplex....standpipe is about 6ft off the ground. Works fine no issues. I did all the pvc...original galvanized plumbing was not even close to being correct. Main waste pipe exits about 3ft off the floor...
    Last edited by Rich B; 08-18-2009 at 06:21 AM.

The upper picture is showing what is essentially a crown vented, S trap. Illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    The upper picture is showing what is essentially a crown vented, S trap. Illegal.
    Does simply increasing the horizontal distance between the trap and the vent solve the problem as in the lower photo?

I believe it's because there is a combo instead of a sanitary tee.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    I believe it's because there is a combo instead of a sanitary tee.
    I don't see it... (honestly, not being flip)

Both photos appear about the same to me, though the pipe at the bottom of the trap in the first photo appears to be going uphill!

Instead of a tee before his horizontal to the trap he's got a combination wye.
    Matt

Smile

Maybe the pictures are not clear.........There is NO combo fitting other than the horizontal 4x2's that connect to the orginal cast iron. Both sides are sanitary tees from the trap arms after the p-traps and standpipes. Maybe the one side trap arm is too short or should be a little lower to suit nhmaster and that is whay he says its an s-trap. The original plumbing was 1-1/2" galvanized. both sides connected to ONE straight tee into the 4"C.I. Both sides had little short standpipes with p-traps...and NO vents..... all done by a plumber ehh? I do my laundry a couple times a week on the side nhmaster says is illegal. It works great especailly compared to the old stuff. I would often see soap residue on the floor with the old piping....now it works very well and I have stood at the main piping as the washer ejects the water and I feel it washes the poorly done santee at the main drain exit......and the vents are as of right now not yet connected up in the attic. That will be completed shortly.....
    Last edited by Rich B; 09-02-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Default drain

There is no "crown vent" shown in those two pictures, (but I do not know what the reference to "top" and "bottom" pictures means), and there are many installations done which could be considered crown vents in the classical sense, but are legal installations.