Tips on tub/shower rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Mudball

Reaction score
The wife and I have decided we want one piece shower/tub units. These will be placed against a concrete block wall. We are not real sure which exact model we want but I was wanting to know a pretty close rough in for the drain....are they all pretty close to the same ?
Also I was thinking of installing two pieces of insulated foam board behind the unit against the wall. Any tips that I need to make sure of for a correct rough in ?

Mudball

Reaction score
Thanks. That sounds good to me.
Now should I plan on placing the unit directly against the concrete block wall with a couple of sheets of insulated foam board behind it or would you figure the rough in based on a finished wall ?

Mudball

Reaction score
I just got back inside from walking back from the house. After sitting around and looking at the layout and everything I think Ive answered my own question. I see no reason we cant just set the tub/shower unit directly against the concrete wall with a couple of 3/4" insulated foam board behind it.
Someone please tell me if I need to leave room for a stud wall and for what reason. There will be no further pipes needed in that wall and all electrical will be running across the attic and then down the walls.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really need to select the unit first. Often, there's a gap between the walls and the supporting wall (in your case the block wall). At the edges, it is designed to be anchored to the rough framing, but then it curves inward so that wall would have room behind it. If you wanted to insulate the entire wall up to the ceiling, then that would just shift the entire thing out some. If the unit has things like a soap shelf, that may be inset, and expect the open gap, so you couldn't fill it with insulation. Same with possible grab bars or towel bars.

Positioning the drain is also problematic until you select the unit. As would the tub/shower valve (assuming you want it centered).

Mudball

Reaction score
Thats sounds great. We really havent purchased the units yet but we have picked out the ones we want. Either way you made me realize that I need to include a 2x4 wall behind it to be safe and go from there. Besides I wont be gaining that much by not including it.
Thanks

TedL

Reaction score
Be certain you can get a one piece into the space (through doorways) if you're putting it in an existing space.

Mudball

Reaction score
No sir its new construction but thats something to think about in the future.
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks