(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Duct for a Kitchen hood

Default Duct for a Kitchen hood

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen. Part of it is moving the cook top to a different wall. This includes moving the range hood. To properly duct it, do I need a new exhaust through the roof or can I run the duct from the new location and tie into the current roof duct?

Thanks for all your great advice.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

There are limitations which should be outlined in your hood mfr. recommendations but for most houses that will work.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Default hood

In a commercial kitchen routing to the existing duct would be a bad idea because of grease accumulation. In a residence that is not even a consideration so you should have no problem using the old duct opening.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The hood instructions will (or usually are anyway) explicit about the maximum distance, the size required, and the amount of elbows allowed in connection of the ductwork. There is no guarantee the size of the duct you have or the extra length or elbows you have to install to reach it would work...you must read the instructions. The ideal path is as short as possible with no turns, but that doesn't happen often. I did that on mine because I just went through an exterior wall, but if you don't have good grease filters, or you have an adjacent window, you may not like the results.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the inputs. It looks like I'll use the original duct and any new hold in the roof.