mixing existing copper tubing with new pex tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

chickenbrown

Reaction score
I am in the process of re-piping the hot water heating system in my house. Currently it is all 3/4" "M" tubing. I am re-piping it because the plumber before did not run the zones in proper loops and also ran loops that went up and down three stories to avoid opening up walls.

So now after half way through i am realizing that i should have used Pex in my re-pipe from the beginning. I am soldiering in very tight corners and using hundreds of fittings not to mention almost burning the house down once!!

Anyway the question is can i now (in mid stream) connect Pex adapters and go on from there in all pex tubing?? Is there some reason i am not aware of not to do this besides it will look a bit funny. I was a plumbing mechanic for about 10 years but have not worked in the plumbing trade for nearly 20 years now. I know how to solder good connections but after 40 lengths of pipe and many fittings i want a easier fast way.

Thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They make transition fittings. You should be using pex with an oxygen barrier. Home cheepo and blows don't carry it.

chickenbrown

Reaction score
They make transition fittings. You should be using pex with an oxygen barrier. Home cheepo and blows don't carry it.

Thanks a lot. I was on my way to Lowes before reading your reply. I just ordered 300 feet of the rigjt tubing from Pexsupply. Thanks!!

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Go fancy and use Rehau pipe. There are also three different grades of Pex. A B C. They all have different properties but still last the same amount of time and such.

Wirsbo pipe/fittings are also a favourite, but require a very expensive tool which you can rent.

Do some research on pipe as well, dont just order the first thing that comes up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks