(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Garage Progress ... pictures!

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I think I'd tell him unless he is there ASAP he voids the contract & does not receive final payment
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Dave, I think that's what I'm going to do...

Jason
    Last edited by Lakee911; 08-25-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Unless there is a completion date in the contract...then there is no completion date...the contractor will win in court... this has been played outin courts many times over...and you will lose...unless like I said there is a completion date in the contract...

You can do what you like but you will be harming the contractor...I strongly suggest you talk to you Lawyer BEFORE you do anything...if you complete the work your self then you will still oue him the full amount... you can't create and abandonment defense because that is what you think or the job is not going as fast as you think it should...it doesn't work that way...

You can order him to remove his equipment and he will have to...but you will have just handed him his win in court by not allowing him to complete the job...and you will oue him the total due plus court costs and his lawyer fees...
    Last edited by Cass; 08-24-2009 at 07:55 AM.

Well...he called and said he was done... Originaly he told me it would take one week. Today is day 15. I know that verbal won't hold up in court though...

Anyways...moving on...

Jason

I am glad it worked out...court is the last thing anyone wants...

My Contractor is finally done. Other than the constant watching that I had to do and the slow work I'm fairly pleased with the results.

The anchor bolts are now solid and concrete around them had really cured enough to really torque down the bolts on the sill plates. He also fixed a couple of blocks and touched up some grout joints here and there

I was able to get my cable tv line reburied. The other night I ran conduit between the utility pole (unnecessary and probablt illegal) and the portion under the drive. So that's done now.

I still have a little more grading to do and I might bring in a little top soil to help the grass grow .

So, yesterday I got all my sill plates down and I also managed to get up five wall sections (entire N wall and two on the E and W) with the help of a neighbor. Upon standing the fourth section up we discovered that I had failed to take the E and W wall overlap into account and I was 7 inches too long! It was only a small setback though.

I plan on getting the rest of the E wall up tonight and getting the second top plate in to really hold things together. There are two braces behind the N wall and one on each the E and W wall for now.

Who's that weirdo?

We got the rest of the walls up tonight. Garage door wall needs some work obviously.

Time Warner also came by to drop the neighbor's cable line. I also emailed an engineer at AEP about moving the power line above the garage to a mid-span-drop.

Coming along...
    Last edited by Lakee911; 08-26-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Looking good!
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Not too much work got done this weekend. I had a wedding to attend to and was dodging raindrops the rest of the time. I was able to get the last pieces of sheathing on this weekend and get the building wrapped. My expert-present-wrapper-girlfriend assisted with the building-wrap--I am pleased with the results. Last time I did it it was horrible looking! Trusses will be delivered tomorrow and I'm planning on getting them up on Saturday.

Jason

Trusses delivered yesterday!

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Oh the days of walking trusses up onto houses....don't miss those days at all.

Have fun.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Jason, it looks great!

More work today ... Neighbor came over, neighbor's sister's boyfriend and a buddy of mine. We got all trusses erected! We started about 10:30A and got done around 4PM.

Click for larger images...