(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Garage Progress ... pictures!

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

On Monday I broke out the work lights and started attaching soffit material ... I was able to work until well after 9PM. I got 2/3 of it done.

Also got a call that my windows were in. It turns out bLowes ordered me the wrong windows this time! They were replacement windows, not new Construction. It actually worked out better because they match the house a little better.

Yesterday, I attached the window casing and faux-sill to the building and held it in a little bit and then inserted the window from the inside. It worked just fine.

I got the rest of my backband for the casing made too. That just needs to be applied to the window casing and the man-door casing.

I did a little more soffit too.

Columbia Gas came out and dug up my yard yesterday too. They dug up the tap at the main and my line after it came from under the garage. They removed my meter from the basement and relocated it to back side of the garage.

They did not finish yesterday because my existing line did not hold pressure. They are supposed to resume today. I was forced to pay nearly $2500 to get this work done. Because of the faulty existing line, I may get a refund.

The gas was turned off at noon and I had enough residual heat in my water heater to take a hot shower at 10PM! There was even enough left to take a luke warm shower at 5:30A this morning!

Pictures to follow ...

Lots has been going on lately and I've been working so late that there hasn't been enough light to take pictures!

So, the other day my gas line got moved (rerouted around the garage) and my meter got moved outside of the basement.

There is just now hard pipe here.

They dug up my connection in the alley. You can see that there is an old abandoned main here as well.

They dug a trench around the back of the garage

and to the front

They dug and uncovered my line going under the garage.

They cut the steel pipe to expose the plastic poly pipe inside.

They then ran a new poly line in the trench to a couple of risers and then back to my existing pipe. What was my "service line" is now part of "house lines".

I started siding on Saturday and worked for nearly 12 hours. I got almost the entire South side done (except the top strip) and I got the West side done as well as most of the trim out (starter strip, J Channel, etc).

This afternoon my friend came over and we did the E side, the soffit on the N side and the North side until we ran out of material. I knew we'd be short because I could only buy as much material as my supplier stocked. Turns out I'm 17 pieces too short. I'll get them tomorrow or Tue.

I'm fairly pleased with how things turned out. I wish that I would have painted or at least primed the trim before I got the J channel on.

You can see my gas meter (painted to match the siding) on the back side of the garage now.

Those white squares at the tops of the gables are for future motion detecting lights. I will add one around the back of the garage in the alley as well. My plan is to tie the alley and the back side (east, with the man door) together so they come on if any motion is detected.

I put down some grass seed today in hopes that it might germinate. I put down some pellet mulch w/ an accelerator in it too. I'll have some work to do grading-wise in the spring, but if I can keep the mud down that would be great. I'ts supposed to be warm this week.

Jason
    Last edited by Lakee911; 10-04-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Finished up siding on Monday -- all but one piece. I need to get some more undersill trim to finish that off.

I got my trim primed yesterday...

Garage door opener went up tonight.

Well, it's been a few weeks without an update, but for the most part I am done!

Aluminum fascia got bent yesterday and installed today. I think it looks pretty sharp. I'm going to wait until Spring to install gutters and put a final coat of paint on the trim.

Click for larger view.

Jason

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Looks good. It sure does feel good to get a big project done (or almost)!
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Every project is always "almost" done.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post
    Every project is always "almost" done.
    I can agree with that statement.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Is there 6" between the ground & your siding?
    You are supposed to have at least that much to help prevent termites etc from easy access to the wood
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

8" required here, I think. Little to no compaction was done when backfilling. It will settle and I should have that.

Jason