Sill plate location ... in or out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Do I set my sill plate on my foundation out the thickness of the sheathing so that it's flush with the outside of the sheathing or do I set it back so that it's flush with the framing?

Any advantage in putting down a sill sealer if I'm not insulating or heating the building?

Thanks,
Jason

JCH

Reaction score
Any advantage in putting down a sill sealer if I'm not insulating or heating the building?

Yes, it will act as a moisture barrier between the porous concrete foundation and your wooden sill plate. Building code (here, at least) specifies that untreated wood can never be in direct contact with masonry.

../j

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Thanks for info. My sill plate will be a pressure treated 2x6. Upon that I'll build a 2x4 wall. I think that I'll put down anyhow.

This is in regard to the garage that I'm building. Check out progress here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks