Flexing a slightly misaligned ABS drainpipe by 2 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

KurtWM

Reaction score
I am installing a 48x34 cultured marble ceramic tile shower base with a centered drain. The existing 2 inch ABS drainpipe is aligned properly along one axis, but is 2 inches off along the other. The pipe leading to the p-trap runs 2-1/2 feet to the nearest drain line and is flexible enough for me to push the p-trap over the 2 inches needed to get it to the correct position for the shower base.

My question is whether or not the slight flex on the 2-1/2 foot run of 2 inch pipe will cause it to weaken over time? The house is currently about 25 years old.

Also, I am going to use a PVC cementless drain which is afixed by a caulk-gasket which is tightened around the 2 inch ABS drainpipe using a caulk wrench. Is this a reliable option? Getting underneath the drain from the kitchen floor below would entail removing cabinets, a light fixture and cutting partially through a soffit and the roof which has textured plaster--not something I want to be doing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pipe tends to get brittle when it gets old. Might work, but it might also make sealing it to the shower floor drain harder, too. You could cut out a section of the subfloor, cut the pipe, move it where it needs to go, then block and replace the subfloor section. That would be the best solution. My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Do it correctly and put the drain where it should be. I would cut the trap off and then realign everything, but you may be able to cut the drain in the right spot and install a two inch 22 1/2 degree bend to move the drain over to the proper location. We cannot tell which is the best way, since we cannot see your situation.

KurtWM

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I will go ahead and open up the subfloor to replace the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks