(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Wall Window A/C Condensation Doesn't Drain

Hybrid View

Default Wall Window A/C Condensation Doesn't Drain

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I've had luck here before so here goes: my wall air conditioner does not drain the condensation at all. Somehow it got clogged. It's a small unit, Maytag/Fedders m6x06f2a, and only cools our 10x12 room. Any general ideas on how to "unclog" it? Thank you.
    Last edited by nin28; 08-10-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    I'm NOT a plumber, I just play one at home.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Lint/dust/pollen build up and need to be cleaned out. Have you checked the owner's manual? If you don't have it, you can probably find it online. It probably shows how to take the cover off and get to the drain.

Sometimes, the drain line gets kinked. You need to check it out to verify. There is a sloped pan underneath the evaporator coil to collect the condensation. At the low point, is the drain hole.Sometimes a pipe cleaner or a wire or something can be used to poke through it and clear out whatever is plugging it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

If you have one try to Shop-vac it.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

It needs to tip slightly to the outside, and if there is a drain hole or slot, clean it out.

You probably already know that Fedders, who made window A/C under their name and the Maytag brand label, is Chapter "gone" bankrupt. No warranty or service or parts are available. Just run that sucker until it dies!

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

My friends AC did not have any drainage hole
    We had to drill one
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

I'm looking all over the place for the drainage hole and I don't see a thing. I think it may be an issue with the A/C not properly tipped to outsite. The window sill on the outside of the house is actually higher than the inside causing the A/C to tip inward. I used my carpentry skills to get the A/C to tip outward and it seems to be better. So much water collected in the pan that I could hear the fan going through it. I may still take it apart and see if I can figure out what is going on. BTW, couldn't find a manual online anywhere. Thanks for the help.
    I'm NOT a plumber, I just play one at home.