(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smell of Gas - Navien Tankless Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I'd be curious to know if there are similar issues with other manufacturer's tankless heaters. Are you looking at Navien-only or a range of manufacturers & appliance types?
    They all do it to some degree. They fire from 10,000 to 199,000 BTU in variable steps then suddenly shut off when flow stops, as they must or they would boil the water and spit out the relief. What you are smelling is a combination of CO and unburned gas.

The Navien is a little worse, since their premixed forced draft burner may have a little bit of gas in the mix chamber versus all other tankless may burn theirs off better with the lean/rich pre/post mix burner below the heat exchanger.

Nothing to worry about and certainly not any reason to do a big study or research on it since the cause is so obvious.

I have noticed, that in perhaps the last 8-12 months their newer units have a better purge operation after shutdown to assist in the alleviation of fumes.
    Last edited by zl700; 06-29-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    If Payback is so important to you, why are you not driving a Toyota Corolla?

My Navien Tankless water heater is just 6 months old. I too get a strong smell of gas when it fires up. Unfortunately the tank is mounted just outside our kitchen window so the smell comes right into the house. I will have it check out.

However, I also hear a great vibration as a loud deep rattle which can wake up anyone in the house...any ideas on that one?

I am currently experiencing this issue with the Navien, Model NR 240 NG. I followed your advice and called both the Gas Company and the Gas Inspector. Gas Company reported 4% LEL and 350 Carbon monoxide. Rep stated this is way to high. Gas Inspector called installation company. Company then called me. Plumber has apparently called Navien Tech Support and they informed him levels and odours are normal. Plumber now wishes to run exhaust outlets up former chimney to roof so I don't smell the gases. Inspector to visit next week to confirm installation conforms to Code.

DIY Junior Member BizzyBeePlumbing's Avatar

I had researched this problem on a tankless repair once, the gas company red tagged the unit, the gas valve was faulty, after replacement, the smell went away. I bet Navian has a batch of bad gas valves. In my opinion they are poor units, Noritz and Rinnai are top of the line units.

DIY Junior Member BizzyBeePlumbing's Avatar

this is either a venting issue or a gas valve issue. the unit sounds like it starving for gas or air. I have also had fan speed issue that result in this noise, especially when the air is heavy in the mornings and the venting has not warmed up