ONE pressure switch controlling TWO pumps?

Users who are viewing this thread

NealinNevada

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am looking for some advice...I'll briefly explain my situation.

I have a small ranch in New Mexico which has a water tower and a 3/4 hp submersible pump in the well. The well pump fills the gravity feed tower tank. I now want to plumb this system so that:

1) I can fill the tower tank using the submersible pump and pressurize the water coming from the tower tank using a small 1/2 hp jet pump to maintain a pressure in the house at 40-60 psi.

2) I can bypass the tower and use the submersible pump to pressurize a pressure tank and maintain 40-60 psi in the house.

So, I guess what I want to do is run two water supply systems parallel to each other, using one or the other, but never using both systems at the same time.

Questions for the experts:

1) Can both the submersible and the jet pump be run from the same pressure switch or is it better form to run a separate pressure switch for each pump?

2) Can the same pressure tank be used to maintain house pressure between 40-60 psi (by plumbing the jet pump into the inlet of the pressure tank used by the submersible pump system) or should I plumb separate pressure tanks for each system?

If this makes no sense to anyone, just shout and I will post a sketch of the system that I have put together. I know I'll need a check valve or two and some gate valves in the system to isolate one system from the other.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
a water tower and a 3/4 hp submersible pump in the well.
The well pump fills the gravity feed tower tank.

1) fill the tower tank using the submersible pump (#1) and
pressurize the water coming from the tower tank using a small 1/2 hp jet pump (#2)
to maintain a pressure in the house at 40-60 psi.

#2 downstream of #1?

2) I can bypass the tower and
use the submersible pump to pressurize a pressure tank and
maintain 40-60 psi in the house.

never using both systems at the same time.

Define what elements are in each "system" as you want it.

So your (separate?) elements are #1 pump, #2 pump, water tower tank, pressure tank, pressure switch and 'house'?

Questions for the experts:

1) Can both the submersible and the jet pump be run from the same pressure switch

2) Can the same pressure tank be used to maintain house pressure between 40-60 psi (by plumbing the jet pump into the inlet of the pressure tank used by the submersible pump system)

so #2 is downstream of #1?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks