Well Tank Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

TommyGee

Reaction score
From my research online I think that I may have a ruptured well tank bladder, but I wanted your guys opinions.

I have a well-x-trol wx 202. Whenever I run water, flush the toilet, etc., my well pump kicks on and off at an interval of about every 5 seconds when water is running. When it stops I here a trickling of water inside the tank.

I'm thinking my pressure switch is a 40/60. It sits at 40 constantly. I let the water run an watched it as the pump kicks on and off and it sits at 40.

I pushed the valve to see if water comes out, and I got a bit of moisture out. I thought if the bladder was broke I'd get more of a spray?

I also tried rocking it a bit. I didn't want to push too hard with all the piping, but I did hear splashing near the top. I'm am not sure how much if any water I should hear splashing.

I thought it might be a pressure switch problem at first, but I think it might be a tank issue.

I'd like to handle this issue myself without calling someone in.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Tom

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your pressure switch is working or it wouldn't turn on and off.
You pressure gauge isn't working or it would be showing the pressure going up and down.
Your pressure tank is probably bad because it should run and stay off longer than 5 seconds. Hold the air valve down longer and see if water comes out or if air stops coming out quickly.
Replace the tank and the gauge. Just as well replace the switch too, because it has been cycling every 5 seconds. Your lucky if the pump last much longer because cycling destroys them quickly. And cycling was what destroyed your tank bladder.
See a pattern here?
Then search for pump cycling problems to see how to keep this from happening again. That tank is too small to start with unless you have a CSV.

TommyGee

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was wondering about that gauge being shot.

I held the valve a bit longer and the pump kicked on and a got a good spray of water out. So it does look like the tank is shot.

Are the tanks a pretty simple replacement? I'm somewhat handy. It looks to be just a matter of getting the one pipe connection loose depending upon how tight it is.

Is there a good source at a decent price for well-x-trol tanks? I imagine pro's get them from a wholesaler at a decent price.

I guess I'm just trying to figure how far a replacement is going to set me back, or if it is easier to have a well guy come out.

TommyGee

Reaction score
Question.

If I have a switch that is a 40/60 and a new tank comes pre-pressurized at 28 psi, I would have to add more pressure to the tank up to 38 psi. Is that correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks