sump system recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

fozzy12

Reaction score
I have a sump crock with a primary (110 volt pump) and a secondary backup, that is basically a 12 volt bilge type pump sold by Water Ace. It discharges through the same line as the primary pump and appears to be most useful in power outage situations. The primary used to just discharge a foot outside my house and sort of run back down along the foundation and probably back into the french drain and ultimately back into the pit. Several years ago I routed this pipe down along the outside of the foundation and then underground about 20 feet into an area away from the foundation. Total lift on the pump is about 12 feet. Yesterday we had torrential rain, the crock overflowed and both pumps were running however they couldn't get enough water through the one pipe. Now I'm thinking of redoing this system since I want to finish the basement and never have this issue again. I'm willing to put in another dishcarge pipe. Anyone got a good recommendation for a primary and back up system?

I posted here because pumps and wells seemed to be more about well pumps.

Thanks
Eric

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
This is a repost of my response to another question about backup pumps and primary pumps. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29509

The Basement Watchdog battery back up pump is a good decent system, their primary pump that they are selling in the combo system is junk though. The Basement watchdog system you want to go with is the Big Dog, do not go with the smaller systems. The smaller systems require you to manually test the pump to ensure it has not frozen on you. Where the Big Dog, will auto test itself and sound an alarm if there is an issue with the back up pump.

Now professional offered battery back up systems the PHCC Pro -2400 is a very good system it is made by Glentronics same people that make the Basement Watchdog systems and has all the same features as the Big Dog plus more.

Another system I really like uses two primary pumps like a pair of hydromatic D-A-1 or a pair of Zoeller M-53 The system is called a Sump Pro it uses a pair of marine batteries to run your pumps A/C pumps when the power goes out. It also alternates each pump each time the pump pit fills up so this way they both get worked out (pumps that do not run freeze up).

AS for a primary pump I sell Zoeller and Hydromatic pumps. A Zoeller M-53, or a hydromatic D-A-1 will work nicely for you.

fozzy12

Reaction score
additional comments

Seweratz,
Thanks for the input. I took a look at the deluxe system that uses two pumps and two batteries side by side in the crock. I'm not sure my crock is big enough for that system. One thing I noticed is that in my crock, it appears that the drain tiles come quite far into the crock. It looks like I could cut them off a little closer to the side of the crock so there would be a little more room in there. The Big Dog system looks feasible, both from fitting it in there and also plumbing an additional discharge line. I have a Zoeller pump in there as a primary already. Not sure of the model number. It is about 10 years old and I just changed the float switch on it. I had replaced it before with another unit and the float switch went bad on that unit, so luckily I kept the Zoeller and was able to get a switch from my local plumbing shop. I think the Big Dog unit you recommend is available at Lowes?

Thanks again for the input.

Eric

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Seweratz,
Thanks for the input. I took a look at the deluxe system that uses two pumps and two batteries side by side in the crock. I'm not sure my crock is big enough for that system. One thing I noticed is that in my crock, it appears that the drain tiles come quite far into the crock. It looks like I could cut them off a little closer to the side of the crock so there would be a little more room in there. The Big Dog system looks feasible, both from fitting it in there and also plumbing an additional discharge line. I have a Zoeller pump in there as a primary already. Not sure of the model number. It is about 10 years old and I just changed the float switch on it. I had replaced it before with another unit and the float switch went bad on that unit, so luckily I kept the Zoeller and was able to get a switch from my local plumbing shop. I think the Big Dog unit you recommend is available at Lowes?

Thanks again for the input.

Eric

Lowes or Home Depot, some Ace Hardwares carry it as well. I would go ahead and cut the drain tiles flush with the sump pit. I have fitted two Zoeller M-53's in a small sump pit, both with their own discharge pipes.

rainstorm

Reaction score
Do you know what the issues are with the Glentronics pro series main pumps are? I just put in a ST1033 to replace an older Hydromatic D-A-1. Seems like a decent pump based on the specs. One of the big differences I see is the Zoeller is oil filled. I guess one of the other downsides for the Pro series is that they are made in China. I do not know if the Zoellers are made in the US. The hydromatic stopped working during a rain storm. When I pulled it out and plugged it in it ran. In reading the manual it says there is a air bleed hole in the impeller cavity that could get plugged. Why would you design a pump that you would have to pull the pump out to clear out the bleed hole? Most installations I have seen have a bleed hole drilled into the PVC pipe on the pump outlet.

I am trying to decide right now between the pro series PHCC-2400 and basement watch dog big dog back-up system. Hard to decide if the PHCC is worth the extra money.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks