Shower Arm Diverter - Pressure issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

pmetiv

Reaction score
I want to install a diverter at the shower arm to use a handshower.

I have been looking for a while and found brands like Hansgrohe and Danze who sell them for $30 to $50 :(. While at HD today I saw a Danco for $15 :).

When looking at it closer, only a small water access is open...probably 3/4 of the 1/2in opening is blocked :confused:.

Won't this kill the water pressure? Are the other brands like that too? Unfortunately this is the only brand I can find in a store and would have to order the other brands online...want to know if someone owns a brand with a full 1/2in opening. Is the big price only because of the brand or do they let more water out?!

(Hope this makes sense...I should have taken a picture!!)

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of federal law/regulation. The shower must not pass more than 2.2 gpm at 80 psi (IIRC). To ensure they meet the standard, flow is restricted as you have observed. Many products use a removable washer to limit the flow in the US, but allow for easy removal outside the US. Some US residents even take advantage of this to readily break the law. Other flagrant lawbreakers have been known to drill out these restricted orifices.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes a bit of engineering to take that restricted flow and make the shower head produce a pleasing result. Removing the restrictor in them may turn them into a fire hose, but, you'll quickly run out of hot water, too. Not always, but you tend to get what you pay for...

pmetiv

Reaction score
I understand the regulation and already have it on my showerhead and handshower. But why does it need to be on the diverter too?! So far I only saw the Danco but this is molded in brass. There's no way to remove it like you would with a plastic piece. I guess I need to test it but wouldn't the flow be even worst now that the diverter is also restricted on top of the showerhead?

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

If the flow is restricted to the proper amount at the diverter, then the head's restrictor would allow the full flow since there would not be any excess for it to control.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks