Leaking shower

Users who are viewing this thread

hosky

Reaction score
I have searched the other posts but did not find the answer to my question.

I have a leaking shower head and don't know how to stop it. I have a tub faucet with a built in diverter and thought that the diverter had malfunctioned so I replaced the faucet. Still leaking.

Could it be in the manifold behind the wall? Any direction would help, seems how I don't know what to do next.

Hosky

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a leaking shower head and don't know how to stop it. I have a tub faucet with a built in diverter and thought that the diverter had malfunctioned so I replaced the faucet. Still leaking.
Define "faucet"
. Are you talking about the spout? or did you replace your entire valve?

hosky

Reaction score
Sorry about that Crow, Let me see if I can clarify.

I am talking about the spout where the water comes out. I have a valve for the hot and one for the cold and the shower diversion is done on the spout.

Everytime I turn on the water in the tub it starts coming out of the shower head also. My thinking was that the original shower diversion valve in the old spout was malfuntioning so I replaced the spout (which replaced the diversion valve also). However, I am having the exact same problem.

Thanks for your time, I will try to provide any and all information that you may need. Can do pictures if needed.

Hosky

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is a new problem, it may be water pressure in the house too high. Get a pressure guage from the hardware store and connect it to a hose bibb, wasing maching valve, whatever. Your pressure should be approx. in the 45 to 65 range. If it is too high, your pressure regulator may have failed, and that will cause your symptoms in the shower.

hosky

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply jimbo, I have been in the house for a year and it has done it since then. Didnt use that bathroom but now with baby on the way need to get it fixed.

I just recently had to dig a new well due to sand in water. The old well was artesian, and would free flow at 28psi (it leaked then) and my new well has a pressure gauge that is set at 30/60psi. If it was leaking at 28 then I dont think it is the pressure, However, you guys are the pros and if you think the pressure is too high then I will check it. Just screw the guage onto the pipe where the shower head goes in and turn the water on right?

Thanks for taking time with me,

Hosky

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If the pressure is within normal range, then you need to look at the spout in relation to the position of the shower head (if they are very close to each other) or there may be an obstruction in the tubing coming from your valve to the spout

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The type of pipe used can make a difference. Copper is preferred since the wall thickness is small. If there's too much restriction in the tub spout, the water will back up and go out the showerhead as well. All that's keeping the water from going out both is the height difference and the fact it can flow freer out the spout than the head. When you turn on the divertor, you are not literally sending it to the showerhead, you are stopping it from flowing out the spout, and the other opening is the only path left.

If they happened to use a galvanized nipple for the tub spout, it may be partially blocked. Replacing it with a brass one may solve the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks