Need new flange on cast iron toilet, options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevz

Reaction score
We are doing a remodel and we had the plumber come out and give us some estimates.. When he was here we just had him remove the toilet, sink, etc. Well I guess the flange was broken on the toilet there and needed replaced. The plumber took it all off and we are now proceeding with the remodel. Plumber wants to just put in a new flange once the new floor is put down(tile)

The plumber was just going to replace with I think a lead joint to the cast iron pipe?

Well I saw something the other day where they have PVC or something like that you drop in and tighten some screws to make a compression seal. Maybe called Torque set?

Well since the old flange is already removed and I just have the cast iron pipe, is this an option I can just do myself and would it be good enough? From what I saw you simply drop in and tighten a few screws to make the seal.. I am a little confused on what then holds the flange down to the floor enough to keep the toilet in place?

This will be a pretty limited use bathroom, so trying to save where we can on the remodel..

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you lead the thing to the pipe, the flange often does not have any screw holes to anchor it to the floor (some do). A plastic (or metal) compression flange, either glued or sealed to the waste line needs to be screwed down to the floor as the pipe is not strong enough. Ideally, the flange is set on TOP of the finished floor with the bottom of it flush and level on the floor for any type you use. My unprofessional opinion. Either will work and last if the subfloor is installed properly, the flange is anchored to it, and your wax seal doesn't leak and rot the floor.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Cast iron flange

This is my first visit to this site.
Look for a plumber that can sell you a 4'', 6'' or 8'' deep cast iron cl. flange .
get a strand or two of oakum and lead on the new flange. anything is better than trying to screw a flange to any type of floor........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks