Siding/sheathing - ran into a doozie

Users who are viewing this thread

surfermike

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first time poster!

Today I started demo on the back side of our house to re-side with hardiplank siding. All went well until the very last piece...

Under the sliding glass door, it appears that the siding was finished down to the sill plate like the rest of the house and the concrete step (2-steps) was added later - flush against the siding. There is the top of the bottom course of siding even with the top of the stairs. The sheathing appears to be infested with ants and also possibly water damaged. I checked the back side from the crawl space and there is thankfully no damage visible to the framing (the OSB sheathing is two sheets thick).

There is no reasonable way I can think of to get the siding off and replace the bad section of sheathing due to only having about 1/8" gap between the back of the stairway and the siding board.

Any ideas that don't involve jackhammering out the stairs?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not if you want to do it right. There may be several hack ways of doing it, but probably none of them would be any easier, cheaper, or much less better than getting a fresh start.

surfermike

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty lame... I'm going to try to slide a hacksaw blade behind the siding to get it off and see if that gives me enough room to work on the OSB. Even if it works, I don't know if I will be able to get it back together the 'right way' so there I don't have any future problems!

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to take those steps out... I would try to treat the pest problem, dry it out and clean it out as well as possible and then provide some flashing around the steps. It wouldn't be right, but it might be better.

Have you considered accessing the area from the back side of the steps? Removing the sill plate, joist, etc might be tough but it would give you some more space to work perhaps.

Jason

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
My front patio and my back patio were both poured after the house was shingled
I enclosed the front with a small 3 season porch - 6x10"
I used a chisel, sawzall & other assorted tools of destructionto get the shingles out

The back patio actually sloped towards the house about 2" over 16'
I built a sunroom on top of the patio
Went thru the same trouble getting the old shingles out
My main concern was damage to the rim joists - this was minimal
There was a 3 season sunroom on the back patio at some pointin the past
So that prevented a lot of rot

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks