(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technetic 1000

DIY Junior Member

Default Program Mode

Ok,

It appears that pressing time and enter gets into some sort of program mode. The display shows 9900, then pressing any button underneath any of the numbers cycles through numbers 0-9 and letters like a u, and an upside down u and a c and a reverse c and the lower case t, and also a black display. I don't know what any of those mean or how I can get back out of this mode. I tried pressing time and enter again, but the enter button only turns on or off the PM indicator on the display.

Steve.

I'm thinking there is a hidden button somewhere on the front of your timer.

Without knowing what those readouts mean, you won't do any good. IMO it's best to give up unless you can find someone with the dealer manual pages that explain everything about programming it.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

pressing the “Enter” and “Time Set” button simultaneously for 5 seconds gets you into a master programming mode. This may allow you to reset the control, but you will then have to reprogram. The manufacturer of your control (Autotrol) joined with Pentair Corporation

DIY Junior Member

Default I was able to get into the master program mode

What do I do in this mode. Peter, do you happen to have the steps needed to reprogram the unit? Once I enter into program mode the display shows 9900. I can press the buttons beneath any of the numbers and it changes them pressing the enter button turns the PM indicator on or off. I have no idea how to exit this mode either, I have to just unplug the unit and plug it back in to get it back to the messed up clock that I described earlier with the split colon.

Regards,

Steve.

DIY Junior Member

Default Technetic 1000 Programming Tips

Can Anyone tell me what the steps are to reprogram the technetic 1000? I tried posting the same question on the pentair forums but I wasn't getting any responses.

Thanks,

Steve.

DIY Junior Member

Default technetic programing

the 9900 that you see should be 9999 which displays after you have set the time of day or salt dose or hardness.
    did the 9900 ( or 9999 ) remain on the display or does it show another value?
    If it still shows 9999 on the display it will not countdown until you have used up enough water to drop it below 9999.

DIY Junior Member

Default Technetic 1000 Programming

Dalp,

The 9900 shows up when I press the time and enter buttons together for 5 seconds. It stays on the screen until I unplug and replug the unit back in to get out of this programming mode, as I have yet to figure out how to exit this mode. Once I plug the unit back it, it goes back to the messed up clock display. The gallons remaining doesn't decrement either.

Steve.

DIY Junior Member

i messed around with my control and got the 9900 to come up. i kept pushing buttons and could put up any number on the screen that i wanted but only after the numbers went through some ` weird shapes ` . i unplugged it and it went back to the clock when plugged in with 2 dots...one for pm and one above the minutes. I wonder if that ` menu` is for sizing the control to the tank when it is built.
    Do you have the info for setting your hardness an salt an time ?

DIY Junior Member

Ya, Here is the manual for the unit. It walks you through the steps to program everything. The only problem is, it doesn't mention anything about this weird mode.

http://www.reynoldswater.com/activek...manuals/tn.pdf

I hope that we can figure this out together. Your display sounds exactly like mine now. Does your gallons remaining advance automatically anymore?

Steve

DIY Junior Member

i have tried changing numbers in this weird mode and think i have it totally messed up, and i havent found a way out of the mode yet other than unplugging it an plugging it back in. After doing that it goes back to the clock with no problem. Mine will count down with no problem although i am starting to have a problem with it stalling occasionally in the backwash mode.
    have you tried manually regenerating or test regenerating to see if it affects the control?

This won't get any better if the circuit board is bad.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dalp View Post
    i have tried changing numbers in this weird mode and think i have it totally messed up, and i havent found a way out of the mode yet other than unplugging it an plugging it back in. After doing that it goes back to the clock with no problem. Mine will count down with no problem although i am starting to have a problem with it stalling occasionally in the backwash mode.
    have you tried manually regenerating or test regenerating to see if it affects the control?
    I have tried regenerating manually and the gallons remaining just displays 1697 without counting down. It manually regenerates without stalling however. When you exited the programming mode, did your display have the 9999 showing or was it 9900 like mine? There has to be something to do in that mode to get it back into automatic countdown. I think that is where my problem lies if only this mode was a bit more descriptive rather than weird characters I would be able to stumble around there and correct the problem. I mean we can't even figure out how to exit the mode, which leads me to believe that there is a sequential procedure that has to be followed the unit will probably exit this mode automatically and restart.

Default Technetic 1000 revisitied

We have a running T-1000 unit from 1995 and seems to be working OK, in my mind. The local co came by and suggested that the ion exchange was less efficient now and that we should get the new Avantapure system, another $2k.
    50% less salt via a 'counter current regeneration process???
    Supposedly too that the proportional brining is more efficient today.
    The T-1000 also had proportional brining.

I am not convinced we have a problem. Do you think there is technology advancement with controls that might apply or be worth considering?
    Do these ion exchange units need to be changed after 15 years or is it better to simply upgrade the system with something new?

Thanks for your help Nick P- MA

Tough call. Depends on if you can do the resin change or have to have it done. It will be less expensive than changing out the whole unit but on the other hand, if your luck runs like mine does the unit will crap out 6 months after you sink a grand into it.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Quote Originally Posted by nbpetri View Post
    We have a running T-1000 unit from 1995 and seems to be working OK, in my mind. The local co came by and suggested that the ion exchange was less efficient now and that we should get the new Avantapure system, another $2k.
    50% less salt via a 'counter current regeneration process???
    Supposedly too that the proportional brining is more efficient today.
    The T-1000 also had proportional brining.

I am not convinced we have a problem. Do you think there is technology advancement with controls that might apply or be worth considering?
    Do these ion exchange units need to be changed after 15 years or is it better to simply upgrade the system with something new?

Thanks for your help Nick P- MA
    Unless they fully regenerated the resin bed and then found hardness getting through the bed, you don't need a new softener or resin. They are just trying to sell new equipment.

The Avantapure (269 valve and 263i IIRC timer) has the same features as the 1000 although it is an industry standard type of control valve where the 1000 was a unique design. Resin should not be replace on a time basis, only when it is not capable of removing all the hardness.