Discolored water

Users who are viewing this thread

hosky

Reaction score
Thanks for this site. I had some posts last Dec about my 1600 - 1800 ft well pumping sand and the general thought here was that I needed to drill a new well, so I did.

I was able to get soft water at 520', (other houses in a 5 mile radius were from 400 - 620).

I have searched other posts trying to find the answer to my question and did not see what I thought I was looking for, so I hope you don't mind me making a new post to gain some direction.

My new well was completed on July 24 and water was run continually (through water hose) while I went on vacation the following week. My water still has a weak brown color. (My old well was crystal clear, besides the sand!) What can I do to get this well to that clear state? This is light brown as in a really weak tea. Doesn't bother me as bad as my wife, but if she's not happy......

Thanks for you time,
-Hosky

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A week of pumping probably was just not enough. Keep pumping until it clears. Sometimes pumping hard for a day, then let it recover for a while, then pumping hard again, and doing this over and over is the only way to clear things up.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You should test the water for iron and tannins. If either or both is found, it's likely that is the cause of the discolored water. Or, it could be colloidal iron. And if it is any of those, pumping the well more is not going to help and may make the problem worse.

If you draw a glass of the water and let it sit for a day or two, does it clear? If not you may have to live with it because no filter will clear it. None of those things are harmful anyway.

BTW, I would not leave a garden hose running while I wasn't around to watch the hose so that the well didn't go dry and burn up my pump.

hosky

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The water does stay this color when left over night. I am working on getting it tested, probably be Monday. I compared my water straight from the tap to the water at the hospital I work at and there is only a shade or two difference (mine is darker) but neither were "clear". Like you say Gary, I may have to live with the color. We'll see what the tests show.

What things should I test for? Just the iron and tannins?
A friend works at a research center that can test everything, but would be costly I think. What are the neccessities?
Our local health dept only test for coliform (?).

Thanks,

-Hosky

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks