(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: shower stall leak

Default shower stall leak

Hi,

We noticed a stain in the corner of the ceiling, right below our second floor shower-stall.

We have caulked the seam a couple of times, but it always appears to decay after a while (not sure if the leak is coming from that exactly or somewhere else). Plus, I've noticed some mold on the closet floor directly behind the right-corner of the shower.

We are thinking of getting a new shower-stall installed. Will that resolve whatever leak issue we have? What happens during installation, will the installer/plumber take everything apart and look for the source of the leak?

And what type of shower-stall would be best to get?

Thank you!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Are the walls tile, or a look-alike panel? Not sure from the photo.

A properly built shower won't leak even without the tile up. Do you know what is underneath the tile? What's under that? If they put tile up on drywall, that's a big mistake. Do any of the tile move if you put pressure on them?

If I had to guess, I guess the floor flexes when you stand in the shower and that the seal to the drain has broken or loosened. Sometimes, the pipe actually splits if there is movement after a long time. If the receptor isn't installed level, it could be leaking around the door. Well, it could leak around the door, regardless. Another possibility is if the valve is leaking behind the wall. You could probably check that out if you removed the handle and the escution plate.

Personally, I'd build a new tiled shower using Kerdi from www.schluter.com. I did this for my mother at her house. Check out their site and watch the videos.

If you want help with tiled stuff, including showers, check out www.johnbridge.com.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 08-06-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The wall is tiled, and one of the tile does 'move a little' when pressing hard.
    I'm guessing the leak may be coming from the tile(s) or base or seam, and hopefully not from the pipes or something inside.

(is the standing-water inside the drain normal?)

I'm clueless as to plumbing, and I don't want to take anythings apart

We might as well just go to Home Depot and renovate, put in a new shower-stall.
    * Would that take care of the leak then?
    * Is a prefab one-piece shower stall best in preventing leaks?

Thanks!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Some people love the prefab stuff. A quality built tiled shower will last longer and look good doing it, though. Neither one will last leak-free if not installed properly. A one-piece prefab is probably out of the question, as you're unlikely to be able to maneuver it into the house, so you're talking at least 2-pieces. Any time you have a seam, you have a potential leak. Houses are rarely plumb and square, so getting it to fit properly is sometimes a pain.

For some ideas and possible help, check out www.johnbridge.com.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014