Low-yield well, is a trickle feed possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
You can also do an internet search for "cycle timer". You will get lots of hits and I expect find what you need.

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
I came up with two timers, 1st is Well booster system, and 2nd is a Well Manager, cost about 1500.00 - 1900.00 .
They both read they monitor and run the well pump and monitor level for cut on and cut off.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Here is a link to a $85 unit.(IGS-011 Repeat Cycle Timer with Photosensor ) Depending upon your pump voltage and amperage you may need to use a relay.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml

An alternative low tech and cheap approach is to use flow limiter (a simple ball valve in the pipe can be used for this purpose) to limit flow to what the well recovery rate will support.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Designing a water system!

I've drilled wells in NM that only provided 1/4 gpm. To my knowledge there isn't a pump made that will only 1/4 gpm, specially a jet pump.

We installed a submersible pump to near the bottom of the well with a
Cycle Sensor to sense dry well and shut down as Valveman described. Using a 4000 gallon storage tank and a seperate supply pump and Pside-Kick, pumping 10 gpm will give you approximately 6 hours of usable water. That is enough water for even wasteful people.

As Valveman states 1/4 gpm times 24 hours equals 360 gallons per day. That's enough for a family of 5 for all appliances. That figures to about 72 gallons per person per day.

Look up my story about "Low Yield Wells" at http://www.nationaldriller.com/Articles/Column/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000229224

Sincerely,
Porky

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
I can not seem to find a cycle imer that I can use in conjunction with it to control the floot valve cut off so not to over fill the storage tank. I did thought find a lot of cycle timers.
I have lookek and Andy Reeds Well Manager (basic system) cost 1499.00 and it is supposed to sense when there is no water to pump, sense when to cut off system when storage tank is full, and shut down systeem if there is an over flow....
Is there any other way to do this whith out going to the cost above.
Thanks Fred in Texas

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A timer is not what you need. You need a Dry Well relay like the Cycle Sensor. This shuts the pump off on low amperage when the well is dry, then it has a built in timer that adjust from 1 to 300 minutes to restart the pump. If your storage tank is full, the float shuts off the pump. If the well runs dry, the Cycle Sensor shuts off the pump, then restarts it with a timer as long as the float switch is still down.

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
OK that makes better sense to me, I do know that I a a timer added to the control box that I can set from 3 minuets to hours or manual reset, I bought it from the drilling company to keep from burning up my well pump.
Question how and where do the wire from the float to well pump go to stop over flow?
Thanks Fred

Vietnam1947

Reaction score
Frankline QD PUMPTEC 3min, 9 min, 12 min, 30 min, 1 hour, 1.5 hour, Manual reset. I just had to got out at 9:30 PM to the well house to see what I had.
If this is what I need and will work and just need to put a float switch on the tank and wire it to ? in the well house ( to what is it the Float switch wired to)?
Then I could save 1499.00 which is more that my SSI check.
You Quys have got me on the right trach Now just tell me what the orr wher the float switch wires to??
Thanks Fred Former POW US ARMY Vietnam 1965-1967

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks