Roots stopping toilet...$1400 to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
roots in sewer line ! !

COOKIE THIS IS ADDRESSED TO YOU AS YOU ARE THE ONE TO MAKE THE COMMENT !

BUT MORE IMPORTANT IT IS ALSO FOR ALL THE OTHER HOMEOWNER D.I.Y,'S

WHO WILL READ THIS AS WELL SO I HAVE TO POST ONE LAST COMMENT ON ROOT

TREATMENT IN SEWER LINES

http://rootxperts.com/?p=39

PLEASE READ THIS LINK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE EFFECTIVENESS

OF COPPER SULFATE VERSUS ROOT-X

Cookie

Reaction score
Nothing serious today, lol. Roots can wait til tomorrow. :)
The homeowners get your point trust me they can read. But, I thank you for your concern about the roots. Next time, around, I will deal with the new and improved product. That is fine.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Copper sulfate use to be the only root control product out there. For a while there was a foaming copper sulfate product that us plumbers where allowed to buy and put into sewer systems to help kill off the tree roots. Here is a list of why the EPA is trying ban copper sulfate for the use of root control in the whole US.

1. Copper sulfate can kill the whole tree as it gets into the circulatory system of the tree.
  2. Copper sulfate kills off the healthy bacteria needed at the sewerage treatment plants.
  3. Most sewers that have tree roots are no longer water tight and the copper sulfate can leach out of the pipe into the ground water and is considered a heavy metal toxicity in water.
  4. One other little fact that the EPA is not considered about but you as a home owner should be Copper sulfate is a wood preservative, so after it kills the root it preserves it. So yes the root will stop its growth in your sewer but will still be there to cause a blockage till it gets removed.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cookie I have one question for you....
Does your plumber give expert advice on Terry Love's Plumbing Forum?
Well then you have to consider the source of your advice and his inexperience... :eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
I do not understand your tone in asking, I don't think I conveyed the feeling that I was pushing the facts on anything was I? Maybe, correct me if I am wrong, but, I didn't think I was doing so.

I just can't be that serioius today because I am really just happy for someone Red, maybe, that is what you are picking up, I don't know, if sulfate is bad, I will stop using it in my coffee, lol. ( folks at home don't try that , lol, ONLY kidding)

Rootorama

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to let you know how my plumbing situation worked out. A friend needed some plumbing work done and he mentioned my root situation to his plumber.

So to make a long story short the plumber (actually was his brother... dad and all sons are plumbers... kind of cool) came over, did what was mentioned above. Removed toilet,roots were everywhere so he dug em out, rootered the hell out of it, did a few other things and I was flushing again happily for 200$.

Anyway just wanted to thank the forum for the information. It probably saved me at least 1000$ if I had fallen for the scam. One less plumbing sucker in the world now thanks! :)

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hi just wanted to let you know how my plumbing situation worked out. A friend needed some plumbing work done and he mentioned my root situation to his plumber.

So to make a long story short the plumber (actually was his brother... dad and all sons are plumbers... kind of cool) came over, did what was mentioned above. Removed toilet,roots were everywhere so he dug em out, rootered the hell out of it, did a few other things and I was flushing again happily for 200$.

Anyway just wanted to thank the forum for the information. It probably saved me at least 1000$ if I had fallen for the scam. One less plumbing sucker in the world now thanks! :)

I know I am real happy, for the way things turned out for you. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks