(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roots stopping toilet...$1400 to fix?

I went downstairs to the garage and got the bottle of what I use and it works well, it is called, Root Kill made by Zep, and the active ingredient is copper sulfate. This is what I was told to use by the plumber. I haven't had any problems since I have been using it.

Copper Sulfate is illegal in Connecticut.
    We use Root-X, which has an active ingredient of Dichlobenil.

Sorry Gentlemen, but this is what one of your own told me to use.
    So, you are suggesting, I switch?
    Obviously, it is not illegal here for I buy it at HD.
    How much do you know about that chemical? And, why is copper sulfate illegal there, if you know.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Main line roots

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    sorry gentlemen, but this is what one of your own told me to use.
    So, you are suggesting, i switch?
    Obviously, it is not illegal here for i buy it at hd.
    How much do you know about that chemical? And, why is copper sulfate illegal there, if you know.
    yes "cookie" you do need to switch over the copper sulfate just lie's on the bottom of the pipe where it gets washed into the city sewer or septic tank

and as you know from your many years on this forum lot's time plumbers don't always agree on things ! !
    But in the upside down world of roots many times they can grow down into the
    top and sides of pipe as while as on the bottom ! !
    If you want to kill out "all" of the roots you must do it one of the ways i posted ! ! !

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

I am kind of fond of the roots, I think I will leave them, Infact, today I love the roots! They even look purty...

Here is a Kiss for you... * And an extra one, too... * if you need anymore just let me know, the offer stands for a while here, what a wonderful day today is.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation roots in sewer line ! !

COOKIE THIS IS ADDRESSED TO YOU AS YOU ARE THE ONE TO MAKE THE COMMENT !

BUT MORE IMPORTANT IT IS ALSO FOR ALL THE OTHER HOMEOWNER D.I.Y,'S

WHO WILL READ THIS AS WELL SO I HAVE TO POST ONE LAST COMMENT ON ROOT

TREATMENT IN SEWER LINES

http://rootxperts.com/?p=39

PLEASE READ THIS LINK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE EFFECTIVENESS

OF COPPER SULFATE VERSUS ROOT-X

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Nothing serious today, lol. Roots can wait til tomorrow.
    The homeowners get your point trust me they can read. But, I thank you for your concern about the roots. Next time, around, I will deal with the new and improved product. That is fine.
    Last edited by Cookie; 08-09-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Copper sulfate use to be the only root control product out there. For a while there was a foaming copper sulfate product that us plumbers where allowed to buy and put into sewer systems to help kill off the tree roots. Here is a list of why the EPA is trying ban copper sulfate for the use of root control in the whole US.

1. Copper sulfate can kill the whole tree as it gets into the circulatory system of the tree.
    2. Copper sulfate kills off the healthy bacteria needed at the sewerage treatment plants.
    3. Most sewers that have tree roots are no longer water tight and the copper sulfate can leach out of the pipe into the ground water and is considered a heavy metal toxicity in water.
    4. One other little fact that the EPA is not considered about but you as a home owner should be Copper sulfate is a wood preservative, so after it kills the root it preserves it. So yes the root will stop its growth in your sewer but will still be there to cause a blockage till it gets removed.

Cookie I have one question for you....
    Does your plumber give expert advice on Terry Love's Plumbing Forum?
    Well then you have to consider the source of your advice and his inexperience...

I do not understand your tone in asking, I don't think I conveyed the feeling that I was pushing the facts on anything was I? Maybe, correct me if I am wrong, but, I didn't think I was doing so.

I just can't be that serioius today because I am really just happy for someone Red, maybe, that is what you are picking up, I don't know, if sulfate is bad, I will stop using it in my coffee, lol. ( folks at home don't try that , lol, ONLY kidding)

Smile

Hi just wanted to let you know how my plumbing situation worked out. A friend needed some plumbing work done and he mentioned my root situation to his plumber.

So to make a long story short the plumber (actually was his brother... dad and all sons are plumbers... kind of cool) came over, did what was mentioned above. Removed toilet,roots were everywhere so he dug em out, rootered the hell out of it, did a few other things and I was flushing again happily for 200$.

Anyway just wanted to thank the forum for the information. It probably saved me at least 1000$ if I had fallen for the scam. One less plumbing sucker in the world now thanks!

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rootorama View Post
    Hi just wanted to let you know how my plumbing situation worked out. A friend needed some plumbing work done and he mentioned my root situation to his plumber.

So to make a long story short the plumber (actually was his brother... dad and all sons are plumbers... kind of cool) came over, did what was mentioned above. Removed toilet,roots were everywhere so he dug em out, rootered the hell out of it, did a few other things and I was flushing again happily for 200$.

Anyway just wanted to thank the forum for the information. It probably saved me at least 1000$ if I had fallen for the scam. One less plumbing sucker in the world now thanks!
    I know I am real happy, for the way things turned out for you. Thanks for keeping us up to date.