Water hammer when irrigation turns on

Users who are viewing this thread

gahlen

Reaction score
I have a 2.1 gal or so pre-charge tank with a submersible pump CSV valve. Everything is fine except when my irrigation first turns on. The water flowing into the irrigatation system causes the small tank to dishcharge rapidly and create water hammer. How do I solve this. My irrigation tees off the main at the well head. I have the standard backflow preventer on the irrigation system and the heads drain after the zone runs. Hope this makes sense. Thank you for your assitance.

Last edited:

gahlen

Reaction score
I was given that suggestion by my pump installer and it did not make a difference. It seems the water disharges quicker than the pump can begin pumping. This happens very quickly and then everything is just fine.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
We use water hammer arrestors for commercial plumbing quick closing valves such as solenoid or even flush valves for toilets. A plumbing supply house should have these, maybe even Lowes or Home Depot. In the old days they used a section of pipe filled with air which worked but eventually became water logged. The water hammer arrestor has a bellows or piston inside which absorbs the "shock" created. These are relatively inexpensive.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was given that suggestion by my pump installer and it did not make a difference. It seems the water disharges quicker than the pump can begin pumping. This happens very quickly and then everything is just fine.

OK then your lines are empty when the irrigation starts. It takes a lot of water to fill the lines before the pressure starts to build. Your sprinklers are probably down hill from the zone valve, so they drain out every time the irrigation shuts off. They make little check valves with a 1.5 or 2 pound spring that you can install before the sprinkler head. These will keep the line from draining out. Then you won't have to wait for the lines to fill, and the pressure will come up quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks