1998 Rain Bird Image 4 - Fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Mostly_in_France

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone can help me with this one...

I am a very capable and very well employed English "Odd Job Person" working in France, and have a client with a Rain Bird Image 4 with a fault.

The screen is blank, but the green LED is on.

I suspect this is down to the battery soldered onto the board, but I can't find one or anything similar in order to test it...

Anybody agree with me, know what I can use instead, or have any other ideas??

I have looked at the price of these controllers, and I think it would be nicer to repair the one they have, rather than to buy them a new one.
I already have to supply them with a new dishwasher!

Thanks in advance for all ideas...

Andy

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Andy,

Need a bit more info, image 4 is not a model number. Even a photo would help.

A soldered in battery is for backup during power failures, and should not effect normal use.

A suggestion would be to check the board for a reset button which may or may not help. I have found them to do wonders on older Rainbird controllers.

As a very last resort before replacing the unit, I would remove the soldered in battery to see if it brings it back to live.

Mostly_in_France

Reaction score
Hello PEW and thanks for your response.

I need all the help I can get, but at the risk of losing your support, I have to argue that Image 4 IS the model, and I have found references to it all over the Internet... however, I could concede that perhaps this model is unique to France (or Europe?) - the manual is in (in this order) F, ES, DE, EN, GE, IT, PT languages... All references for contact is to Rain Bird France.

I can't imagine that there is much difference between the other models of the same range and age...

The fact that the LED is always alight, seems odd - and shows that there is power reaching the unit.

I am seeing the client again tomorrow, so I will take a better look and see if there is anything else obvious.

Any other ideas?? PLEASE???

Thanks a lot.

Andy

Rainbird Mike

Reaction score
Mike

Hi Andy,

Ran across your post while looking for help on the Rainbird Image 4 controller timer. I have a place in France and had an Image 4 Drip system professionally installed but the installer left the instruction manual outside and it got wet. I cannot open it now as the pages are all glued together.

I tried to find/buy one online but no dice. It looks like you have one. It is August in France and everyone is on vacation including my installer.

Any chance you could scan and email me the English pages about how to set it up and change the program. Or maybe you know where I can buy one online.

It would be much appreciated as it is very hot and my garden needs more water.

Best Regards
Mike

Mostly_in_France

Reaction score
Hi Mike

Actually, it is a client who has the Rainbird - but although I fixed the problem (with no help from here I should add) - I still have the manual because I forgot to take it when I went back to the client.

Drop me a mail and I will scan and email you - no problem. At least someone on this forum can be helpful.

andy.carter (a) numeo.fr

tomm

Reaction score
Hi Mike

Actually, it is a client who has the Rainbird - but although I fixed the problem (with no help from here I should add) - I still have the manual because I forgot to take it when I went back to the client.

Drop me a mail and I will scan and email you - no problem. At least someone on this forum can be helpful.

andy.carter (a) numeo.fr

So you fixed it but didn't say how, and your sarcastic that no one was able to help you.

Your controller was obviously a European model that 99% of the people that might read this post have not run into.

It would have been nice if you shared how you fixed instead of being sarcastic that no one was able to help you.

Mostly_in_France

Reaction score
Perhaps your message will be read by the person that told me that this model didn't exist, and by the two people that PM'd me to tell me that basically I was not capable of fixing the Rain Bird if I couldn't even identify it properly.

I run several forums, and take part in many - and never have I had such responses to a genuine plea for help.

I stand by what I said.

How I fixed the problem? Well I found there was a dry joint on one end of the fuse carrier.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What did you do to the dry joint? Lubricate it?Did you get help from your presedent?Remember "The rain in Spain".Sorry we could not help you>Try back when you get a Tude....Upper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks