Bathroom rough in move

Users who are viewing this thread

bill g

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just moved a bathroom rough in, and was wondering if everything looks good to you. Please notice from the picture that the longer pipes are the vents and I used combination wye tees on the 4" toilet pipe and the 2" shower. The sink drain has 2 san tees as we are planning a wet bar around the corner. The main drain is around the back going into the original rough in toilet pipe. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01736.jpg
    DSC01736.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,287

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I honestly don't know where to begin. There is so much wrong here that is pretty much all needs to go.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
not sure which code your jurisdiction uses but I would cut a 3x2 wye before the 3x4 combo on it's back, lay it on it's side then turn it with an 1/8 bend under the wall. Then continue down and turn it up in its current location with a sweep to catch the sinks. Then eliminate the wye you have between the 3x2 combo and the closet bend. Hope you understand what I'm sayibg.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

It is hard to tell if that is a "Y" or "T" for the sink, but if it is a Y, why did you turn so quickly that you had to use double elbows at the sink. Theoretically, once you did that you needed a cleanout between them. If it is a tee, then it has to be removed. Once the sink is in place, the cleanout tee above the sink connection will be basically useless. If the inspector approves the layout, then you did not need the 2" vent rising after the toilet, and you should have a cleanout in the shower vent riser.

bill g

Reaction score
Bathroom Rough in.

Thanks very much for the feedback. So basically I get rid of the double elbows at the sink, run directly down the wall, and turn into the wye on the
4" drain. I understand that the venting above the toilet is not needed, but I'm assuming if it stayed, it wouldn't do more harm than good?

thanks for everything

bill g

Reaction score
Bathroom rough in

Thanks Winslow. Is this what you are talking about. Please see below.

Attachments

• DSC01736.jpg
    DSC01736.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,141

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Blammmo, I take another hit, yet the boat stays afloat.

Would you like for me to come over, have a few beers (Sam Light seems to be the flavor of the month) and I can design the system for you? I'm not doing anything too awful important. I still have two weeks before school starts and I have to go back to work. :(

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh, you PM'd me earlier. sorry, I didn't see it in time, oh well that's what happens when you have a three month vacation. Anyway, I'm sure you will figure something out. I'm off for a weeks trout fishing in upstate VT. Good luck

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Winslow. Is this what you are talking about. Please see below.

yes that would be ok under the UPC, depending on the ammendments of the local jurisdiction.

Additionally if the run is more than 5 feet then you should make that combo for the toilet vent three inch through the slab, put a cleanout on it and reduce it to two inches above that for the vent.

bill g

Reaction score
Bathroom rough in

Good point. I did put a 4" clean out in on the other side where it drains, as they didn't have one in the original rough in. Here's that pic. And thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• DSC01739.jpg
    DSC01739.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,073

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Good point. I did put a 4" clean out in on the other side where it drains, as they didn't have one in the original rough in. Here's that pic. And thanks for your advice.

The cleanout needs to be at the end of the run (within 5 feet). Whereas the cleanout you do have is in backwards I would change the toilet vent to 3 inch and put the cleanout there as it is reasonably close to the end of the line.

bill g

Reaction score
Thanks Winslow. I have taken out the backwards cleanout and followed your advice on the 3" into the 2".

Appreciate the help

Bill G.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks